Multi-component smoking treatment in a pneumological unit: Method, results and predictors of success
In Spain, there are few treatment units for smoking cessation and little social sensitivity about the hazards of smoking. It has been 10 years since we first introduced a multi-component treatment for smoking cessation in our Service, using previously described methods. This paper gives the results obtained in the smokers who were treated in the unit during a 12-month period. The objectives were to analyse the sociodemographic characteristics and tobacco dependence of the subjects, to evaluate the treatment results and to analyse the differences between smokers who achieved six months’ abstinence and those who failed to do so in order to identify the variables that predict successful treatment.
KeywordsSmoking Cessation Nicotine Dependence Nicotine Replacement Therapy Nicotine Patch Tobacco Dependence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Becoña, E. (1992) La técnica de ingestión de nicotina y alquitrán: Una revisión. Rev.Esp. Drogodep.,10, 92Google Scholar
- Gourlay, S.G., Forbes, A., Marriner, T., Pethica, D. & McNeil, J.J. (1994) Prospective study of factors predicting outcome of transdermal nicotine treatment in smoking cessation.Br. Med. J.,309, 842 – 846Google Scholar
- Linchestein, E. & Danaher, B.G. (1976) Modification of smoking behaviour. A critical analysis of theory, research and practice. In: Herse, M., Eisler, R.M. & Miller, P.M., eds,Progress in Behaviour Modification, New York: Academic Press, pp. 79 – 132Google Scholar
- Raw, M. & Russell, M.A.H. (1980) Rapid smoking, cue exposure and support in the modification of smoking.Behaviour,18, 363 – 372Google Scholar
- Salvador, T., Marin, D., Gonzalez-Quintana, J., et al. (1988) Tratamiento del tabaquismo: Eficacia de la utilization del chicle de nicotina. Estudio a doble ciego.Med. Clin. (Barcelona),90, 646 – 650Google Scholar
- Schwartz, J.L. (1987) Review and Evaluation of Smoking Cessation Methods: The United States and Canada, 1978–1985, Washington DC: Department of Health and Human ServicesGoogle Scholar
- Spielberger, C.D., Gorsuch, R.L. & Lushene, R.E. (1970) ST A I, Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (Self Evaluation Questionnaire), California: Consulting Psychologist Press, Inc.Google Scholar