In this paper, we present a browser allowing to graphically specifying XML views, with neither knowledge of the XML document structure nor the syntax of the view definition language. The originality of our approach is providing two kinds of help: DTD helper and DataGuide helper, which give possible sub-elements or attributes to the current element while defining a pattern. Furthermore, we have extended the DataGuide of semistructured data in order to deal with XML data.
KeywordsView Model Child Element Semistructured Data Reference Link View Definition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Abiteboul. On Views and XML. In the Proceedings of PODS, In the Proceedings of the Eighteenth Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), pages 1 – 9, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, June 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Abiteboul, D. Quass, J. McHugh, J. Widom and J. L. Wiener. The Lorel Query Language for Semistructured Data. In the Proceedings of the International Journal on Digital Librairies, pages 68 – 88, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.X. Baril and Zohra Bellahsene. A View Model for XML Document. In the Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Object Oriented Information Systems, pages 429 – 441, London UK, December 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Cerri, S. Comai, E. Damiani, P. Fraternali, S. Paraboschi and L. Tanca. XML-GL: A Graphical Language for Querying and Restructuring XML Documents. In proceedings of the 8th International World Wide Web Conference, pages 1171–1187, May 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Chamberlin, D. Florescu, J. Robie, J. Simeon and M. Stefanescu. XQuery: A Query Language for XML W3C working draft, http://www.w3c.org/TR/2001/WD-xquery-20010215,15 February 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Chamberlin, P. Fankhauser, M. Marchiori and J. Robie. XML Query Requirements W3C working draft, http://www.w3c.org/TR/2001/WD-xmlquery-req-20000815, 15 August 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.L. Chen and E. Rudensteiner. Aggregate Path Index for Incremental Web View Maintenance. Second International Workshop on Advanced Issues of E-Commerce and Web-based Information Systems (WECWIS 2000 ), San Jose, June 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Deutsch, M. Fernandez, D. Florescu, A. Levy and D. Suciu. A Query Language for XML. In the Proceedings of the 8th International World Wide Web Conference, pages 1155–1169, May 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Goldman and J. Widom. Data Guides: Enabling Query Formulation and Optimization in Semistructured Databases. In the Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Very Large Databases, pages 436 – 445, Athens Greece, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Robie, J. Lapp and D. Schach. XML Query Language (XQL) http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/xql.html, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.J. Widom. Data Management for XML: Research Directions. In the IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, Special issues on XML, pages 44–52, September 1999.Google Scholar