Model Quality for the Windsurfer Scheme of Adaptive Control
The Windsurfer Approach to adaptive control combines Internal Model Control (IMC) design parametrized by the desired closed-loop bandwidth with event-driven system identification using Hansen’s scheme on closed-loop data. Our aim in this work is to investigate the nature of model quality applicable to the windsurfer approach. We do this by expanding on recent activities dealing with the complete class of all models suited to model reference control design. In particular, we interpret the conditions for simultaneous stabilization of the plant and the model by an IMC controller. This extends the model reference results to a different domain in which the controller is characterized algebraically by the model but also inherently includes a specification of design performance objective.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Morari, M., Zafiriou, E. (1989) Robust Process Control, Prentice-Hall, NJ.Google Scholar
- 4.Hansen, F., Franklin, G. F., Kosut, R. L. (1989) “Closed loop identification via the fractional representation”, Proc. 1989 American Control Conference, Pittsburgh PA.Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, K., Skelton, R. E. (1990) “Closed-loop identification and iterative controller design”, Proc. 29th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Honolulu HI, pp. 482–487.Google Scholar
- 11.Blondel, V., Gevers, M., Bitmead, R. R. (1997) “When is a model good for control design”, IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, San Diego, CA, pp. 1283–1288.Google Scholar
- 12.Gevers, M. (1993) “Towards a joint design of identification and control?”, In H.L. Trentelman and J.C. Willems (Eds), Essays on Control: Perspectives in the Theory and its Applications, pp. 111–151. Birkhauser, Boston.Google Scholar
- 14.Woertelboer, P. M. R. (1994) Frequency-weighted balanced reduction of closed- loop mechanical servo-systems: theory and tools, PhD Thesis, Mechanical Engi¬neering Department, Delft Technical University, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- 20.Codrons, B., Anderson, B. D. O., Gevers, M. (2000) “Closed-loop identification with an unstable or nonminimum phase controller” IFAC Symposium on System Identification, Santa Barbara CA.Google Scholar
- 25.Anderson, B. D. O., Kosut, E. L. (1991) “Adaptive robust control: on-line learning”, Proc IEEE 30th Conf on Decision and Control, Brighton UK, pp 297–298.Google Scholar
- 28.Anderson, B. D. O. (1992) “Optimizing the Discretization of Continuous-Time Controllers”, Recent Advances in Mathematical Theory of Systems Control Net-works & Signal Processing I, H. Kimura and S. Kodema (eds), Mita Press, pp 475–480.Google Scholar
- 30.Anderson, B. D. 0., Bombois, X., Gevers, M., Kulcsar, K. (1998) “Caution in iterative modeling and control design” IFAC Workshop on Adaptive Systems in Control and Signal Processing, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, pp 13–19.Google Scholar
- 31.Anderson, B. D. O., Gevers, M. (1998) “Fundamental problems in adaptive control”, Perspectives in Control, D. Normand-Cyrot (ed.), Springer, Berlin, pp 9–21.Google Scholar