Optimization: The Competitive Edge
The purpose here is twofold. First, we will briefly review the state of the art. Examples will show that optimization is matured to the point where we can make daily use of this technology to reduce design times and improve product quality. The second purpose is to identify the benefits of optimization and demonstrate that this is the one technology that is useful across a broad spectrum of design activities. Given today’s emphasis on conversation of natural resources and reduced energy consumption, the motivation for using optimization is compelling. Indeed, this is a tool that will provide its provide its users the competitive edge.
KeywordsDesign Variable Topology Optimization Structural Optimization Nitrous Oxide Emission Battery Pack
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vanderplaats, G. N., 1984, Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design - With Applications, McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- 2.Vanderplaats, G. N., 1979, An Efficient Algorithm for Numerical Airfoil Optimization, AIAA J. Aircraft, Vol. 16, No. 12.Google Scholar
- 4.Venter, G., and Watson, B., 2000, Efficient optimization algorithms for parallel applications, 8th AIAA/USAF/ NASA/ ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Long Beach, California, AIAA-2000-4819.Google Scholar
- 5.VisualDOC User’s Manual, Version 2.0, 2001, Vanderplaats Research & Development, Inc., Colorado Springs, CO.Google Scholar
- 6.FLUX2D User’s Manual, 2001, CEDRAT Corporation, Meylan, France.Google Scholar
- 7.FLUENT 5 User’s Guide, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Schmit, L.A., and Miura, H., 1976, Approximation Concepts for Efficient Structural Synthesis, NASA CR-2552.Google Scholar
- 10.Fox, R. L., 1965, Constraint Surface Normals for Structural Synthesis Techniques," AIAA Journal, Vol. 3, No. 8,. pp. 1517–1518.Google Scholar
- 11.Haug, E. J., Choi, K. K. and Komkov, V., 1984, Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structural Systems, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 12.GENESIS User’s Manual, 2001, Version 6, Vanderplaats Research & Development, Inc., Colorado Springs, CO.Google Scholar
- 13.Garberoglio, J. E., Song, J. O. and Boudreaux, W. L., 1982, Optimization of Compressor Vane and Bleed Settings, ASME Paper No. 82-GT-81, Proc. 27th International Gas Turbine Conference and Exhibit, London.Google Scholar
- 14.Stander, Nielen, 1999, Crashworthiness Optimization Using Response Surface Methodology, Proc. Optimization in Industry II, June 6-11, Banff, Alberta, Canada, pp. 387–389Google Scholar