The Interpretation and Validation of Measurements of the Ocean Wave Directional Spectrum
This paper discusses the problems that arise in interpreting and validating new technologies for the measurement of the directional spectrum of the ocean surface. Remote sensing techniques, from the ground or satellites, are under development but, in general, they require detailed numerical inversion methods to extract the wave information and hence need to be carefully validated. The more established measurement techniques, e.g. buoys, are themselves not perfect and do not measure the full spectrum, and these limitations needs to be taken into account in any validation work. The issues raised are discussed with reference to intercomparisons between HF radar and wave buoy measurements. By combining different intercomparison methods the limitations of the HF radar measurement are more clearly identified.
KeywordsEntropy Microwave Radar Assure Remote Sensing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caires, S. (2000). Comparative study of HF radar measurements and wave model hindcasts in shallow waters. PhD thesis, University of SheffieldGoogle Scholar
- Günther, H., Gurgel, K.-W., Evensen, G., Guddal, J., Nieto Borge, J.-C. & Wyatt, L. R. (2000). European radar ocean sensing. Proceedings of EurOCEAN 2000, Hamburg, 2000, 443–448Google Scholar
- Junger, S. (1998). The Perfect Storm. Fourth Estate, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kingsley, S. P., Blake, T. M., Fisher, A. J., Ledgard, L. J. & Wyatt, L. R. (1997). Dual HF radar measurements of sea waves from straight coastlines. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on HF radio systems and techniques, Nottingham, July 1997 (IEE, London UK)Google Scholar
- Sova, M. G. (1995). The sampling variability and the validation of high frequency wave measurements of the sea surface. PhD thesis, University of SheffieldGoogle Scholar
- Tucker, M. J. (1991). Waves in Ocean Engineering: Measurement, Analysis, Interpretation. Ellis Horwood series in Marine ScienceGoogle Scholar
- Wyatt, L. R. & Holden, G. J. (1992). Developments in ocean wave measurement by HF radar. IEE Proceedings-F, 139, 170–174Google Scholar
- Wyatt, L. R. & Holden, G. J. (1994). Limits in direction and frequency resolution for HF radar ocean wave directional spectra measurement. The Global Atmosphere and Ocean System, 2, 265–290Google Scholar
- Wyatt, L. R., Gurgel, K-W., Peters, H. C., Prandle, D., Krogstad, H. E., Haug, O., Gerritsen, H., Wensink, G. J. (1998). The SCAWVEX Project: ocean wave measurement and analysis. Proceedings of WAVES 97, eds. Edge, B. L. & Hemsley, J. M., vol 2, 1457–1467Google Scholar