Evolution of the UK Defence Safety Standards
The MoD has a range of safety standards, some of which have been in use since the early 1990s. There have been suggestions for change to the standards based on industrial experience of using the standards and in response to the MoD’s Standards Breakthrough process. This paper summarises the reviews of the standards and outlines current proposals for reworking DS 00–56, the main system safety standard.
KeywordsAssure Nash Kelly HAZOP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DoD (1993), MilStd 882C: System Safety Program Requirements.Google Scholar
- DoD (1999), MilStd 882D: System Safety Program Requirements.Google Scholar
- Frazer-Nash (2001) Report on the Survey of Defence Standards 00–55, 00–56 and 00–58, Available from the SSRC Secretary via email@example.com Google Scholar
- HIRTS DARP website; http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/hise/darp/.
- International Electrotechnical Commission (1999), IEC61508: Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Systems.Google Scholar
- Lindsay P.A., McDermid J.A. (2002) Derivation of Safety Requirements for an Embedded Control System, in Proc. Systems Engineering, Test and Evaluation 2002, Sydney Australia.Google Scholar
- MoD (1996a), Defence Standard 00–58, Issue 1, HAZOP Studies on Systems Containing Programmable Electronics.Google Scholar
- MoD (1996b), Defence Standard 00–56, Issue 2, Safety Management Requirements for Defence Systems.Google Scholar
- MoD (1997), Defence Standard 00–55, Issue 2, Requirements of Safety related Software in Defence Equipment.Google Scholar
- MoD (1999a), Defence Standard 00–54, Requirements for Safety Related Hardware in Defence Equipment.Google Scholar
- MoD (1999b) Defence Standard 00–40, Reliability and Maintainability, Part 1: Management Responsibilities and Requirements for Programmes and Plans.Google Scholar
- MoD (2001), Joint Service Publication (JSP) 430: Ship Safety Management Code.Google Scholar
- Roberts N.H., Vesely W.E, Haasl D.F., Goldberg F.F. (1981), NUREG 0492, Fault Tree Handbook, Nuclear Regulatory Commission.Google Scholar
- McDermid J.A., Rowlands G., Wilson V.K. (2001), Notes from Puckrup Hall Workshop, 5Th–6th November, Available from the SSRC Secretary via ssrc @dpa.mod.uk Google Scholar
- RTCA (1992), Software Considerations In Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification, DO-178B/ED-12BGoogle Scholar
- SAE (1996a), Aerospace Recommended Practice (ARP) 4754: Certification Considerations for Highly-Integrated or Complex Aircraft Systems.Google Scholar
- SAE (1996b), Aerospace Recommended Practice (ARP) 4761: Guidelines and methods for conducting the safety assessment process on civil airborne systems and equipment.Google Scholar