New Bending Technologies for the Automobile Manufacturing Industry
This paper is concerned with a relatively new bending technique, known as Free-Bending. Its possibilities to realise geometries with almost arbitrary bending radii, with freely definable bending angles, which can be in several planes make this technique very interesting for an application in the automobile industry, especially in the field of car chassis and space frames. Therefore the paper shows some practical examples of geometries which were investigated with bending tests and examined by means of the finite element method. Furthermore the extended possibilities and the restrictions of this new technology are discussed.
KeywordsSpace Frame Sheet Metal Part Axial Feed Hydroforming Process Functional Principle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bauer H., Haas A., Lerch I., et al (1999): “FEA-Process simulations of Hydroforming” Hydorforming of Tubes, Extrusions and Sheet Metals, Volume 1, pp. 253–261; International Conference on Hydroforming 1999, Fellbach/Stuttgart, Germany, October 1999; ISBN 3-88355-284-4Google Scholar
- Murata M., Kato T. (2003): “Highly Improved Function and Productivity for Tube Bending by CNC Bender”; TubeNet - The Site For Tube And Pipe Industries, http://www.tubenet.org [accessed March 2003]Google Scholar
- Neu J. GmbH (2003): “Technical Data Sheet”; http://www.neu-gmbh.de [accessed March 2003]Google Scholar
- Gantner P., Harrison D. K., De Silva A. K. M., et al (2003): “Forming Process Optimisation Through Surface Reconstruction”, Proceedings of the AMPT (Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies) 2003, July 8-11, 2003, Dublin, Ireland. A. G. Olabi, M. S. J. Hashmi. pp. 1630–1633, ISBN 1-872327397Google Scholar
- Gantner P., Harrison D. K., De Silva A. K. M., et al (2003): “Investigation of Free- Bending - a new Bending technique”, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR2003), Advances in Manufacturing Technology - XVII, September 2003, Glasgow, United Kingdom, Y Qin, N. Juster. pp. 69–73, ISBN 1 86058 412 8Google Scholar