Selected Aspects of High Speed Milling Process
The paper describes some results of the research into plastic deformation and cutting temperature in high speed milling of aluminium alloy 2024-T351. The effect of cutting speed and feed on selected parameters in chip formation has been studied.
The experimental and simulation research was carried out by with sintered carbide inserts. It was focused on chip formation, plastic deformation and the cutting temperature. The plastic deformation was studied by means of the chip roots, which were obtained with a quick stop device. The cutting temperature was measured by the tool-workpiece thermocouple. The AdvantEdge 4.2 simulation software, based on the Finite Element Method (FEM) and on the material modelling, was used for the simulation study.
KeywordsMachine Surface Chip Thickness Chip Formation High Cutting Speed Undeformed Chip Thickness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Salomon C., 1931, Verfahren zur bearbeitung von metallen oder bei einer bearbeitung durch schneidende werkzeuge sich ahnlich verhaltenden werkstojfen, German Patent no. 523594.Google Scholar
- Dewes R.C., Ng E., Chua K.S. et al, 1999, Temperature measurement when high speed machining hardened mould/die steel. Journal of Material Processing Technology.Google Scholar
- McGee F.J., 1979, High speed machining - study: methods for aluminium workpieces, American Machinist.Google Scholar
- Mádl J., 1988, Experimentální metody v teorii obrábénÍ CVUT. Google Scholar
- Trent E.M., 1991, Metal cutting, Butterworth, London.Google Scholar
- Mádl J., 2001, Theoretical Aspect of Precise Machining. Proceedings ICPM 2001.Google Scholar
- Mádl J., 2002, Dry Machining Versus Cutting With Cutting Fluids. Manufacturing Technology.Google Scholar
- Marusich TD, Ortiz M., 1995, Modeling and Simulation of High-Speed Machining. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng.Google Scholar
- Özel T, 2003, Modeling of Hard Part Machining: Effect of Insert Edge Preparation in CBN Cutting Tools. Journal of Materials Processing Technology.Google Scholar
- Kumbera T.G., Cherukuri H.P., Patten J.A, Brand C.J., Marusich T.D., 2001, Numerical Simulation of Ductile Machining of Silicon Nitride with a Cutting Tool of Defined Geometry, Proceedings of 4th CIRP International workshop on Modeling of machining operations.Google Scholar
- http://www.thirdwavesys.com.Google Scholar