Lean Product-Line Architectures for Client-Server Systems — Concepts & Experience
This chapter describes the context and software engineering issues of a technology migration project. Significant parts of a conventional client-server system have been replaced by a set of lean product-line architectures implemented in Java. The application of framework and Java technology leads to better modularisation and to improved component reuse. Experience has proven that the focus on small frameworks, called framelets, and on partially self-configuring components are a key factor for rearchitecturing legacy systems. A brief discussion of project management aspects and an evaluation of the applied Java technology rounds out the chapter.
KeywordsList Item Naming Convention Instance Variable Remote Procedure Call Abstract Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bass L, Clements P, Kazman R. Software Architecture in Practice, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1998Google Scholar
- 2.Fayad M, Schmidt D, Johnson R. Building Application Frameworks: Object-Oriented Foundations of Framework Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York City, 1999Google Scholar
- 3.Fayad M, Schmidt D. Object-Oriented Application Frameworks. Communications of the ACM 1997; Vol. 40, No. 10Google Scholar
- 4.Goldberg A, Rubin K. Succeeding with Objects — Decision Frameworks for Project Management, Addison-Wesley,Reading, Massachusetts, 1995Google Scholar
- 5.Gamma E, Helm R, Johnson R, Vlissides J. Design Patterns — Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1995Google Scholar
- 6.Pree W. Design Patterns for Object-Oriented Software Development, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1995Google Scholar
- 7.Shoham Y. An Overview of Agent-Oriented Programming. In: Bradshaw J (ed) Software Agents, Cambridge, Massachusetts, AAAI Press/The MIT Press, 1997, pp 271–290Google Scholar
- 9.Wirth N, Gutknecht J. Project Oberon: The Design of an Operating System and Compiler, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1992Google Scholar