Applications of Finite Element Analysis and Whole Field Stress Measurement
In Chapters 4 and 5 we discussed the mechanics of failure for overstress and fatigue related failure mechanisms. It should be clear to the reader at this point that stress analyses, mechanical, thermo-mechanical or perhaps thermal, will be necessary to model these failure mechanisms, during a reliability assessment and in design. Hence, we have placed our discussion of stress analysis here. The reader may again refer to this chapter at the completion of Part II of the text.
KeywordsFinite Element Analysis Heat Sink Chip Thickness Product Integrity Rotational Stiffness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barker, D. and Chen, Y., Modeling the vibration restraint of wedge lock card guides,’ Proc. ASME Winter Annual Meeting, pp. 1–7, Nov 1992.Google Scholar
- Clough, R. W., Finite element method in plane stress analysis,’ Proceedings of 2nd Conference on Electronic Computation, ASCE, 1960.Google Scholar
- Courant, R., Variational method for the solution of problems of equilibrium and vibrations’, Bulletin of American Mathematical Society, Vol. 49, 1943.Google Scholar
- Ettemeyer, A., Eberhardsteiner, J., Gingerl, M., Non-Contact Measurement of 3-Dimensional Strain Fields with TV-Holography, VDI Berichte Nr 1118, 1994.Google Scholar
- Ettemeyer, A., Seeing the Invisible, Dr. Ettemeyer GmbH and Co., Neu-Ulm, Germany, 1996.Google Scholar
- Fan, M. S. and Niemeyer, W. L., Structural design and analysis of a light-weight laminated composite heat sink for spaceflight PWBs, ’ NASA Technical Paper 3679, Washington, DC., (1997). Also submitted to IEEE Transactions on CPMT B Advanced Packaging for publication.Google Scholar
- Fan, M. S., MMIC thermal analysis,’ in Reliability of Gallium Arsenide MMICs Chapter 9, Ed. by A. Christou, pp. 363–387, John Wiley & Sons, (1992.)Google Scholar
- Hudson, R., Infrared Systems Engineering, Wiley, (1969).Google Scholar
- Logan, D.L., A First Course in the Finite Element Method, PWS Publishing, (1992).Google Scholar
- McDonald, J. and Albright, G., Microthermal Imaging in the Infrared, Electronics Cooling, Jan. (1997).Google Scholar
- Nishihori, K., Ishida. K., Kitaura, Y. and Uchitomo, N., xxx Thermal analysis of GaAs power monolithic microwave ICs mounted with epoxy attachment; IEEE Transactions on CPMT-A, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 220–224, (1997).Google Scholar
- Turner, M. J., Clough, R. W., Martin, H. C. and Topp, L. J., Stiffness and deflection analysis of complex structures,’ J. of Aeronautical Sciences, Vol. 23, No. 9, (1956).Google Scholar