Detecting Mismatches among Experts’ Ontologies acquired through Knowledge Elicitation
We have constructed a set of ontologies modelled on conceptual structures elicited from several domain experts. Protocols were collected from various experts who advise on the selection/ specification and purchase of PCs. These protocols were analysed from the perspective of both the processes and the domain knowledge to reflect each expert’s inherent conceptualisation of the domain. We are particularly interested in analysing discrepancies within and among such experts’ ontologies, and have identified a range of ontology mismatches. A systematic approach to the analysis has been developed; subsequently we shall develop software tools to support this process.
KeywordsDomain Expert Conceptual Structure Domain Concept Conceptual Graph Repertory Grid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.CMP Media, Inc. (2000). TechEncyclopedia. (source: The Computer Desktop Encyclopedia). http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/
- 5.Ericsson, K.A., & Simon, H.A. (1984). Protocol Analysis, Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Hameed, A., & Sleeman, D. (2000). Knowledge Elicitation to construct Ontologies in the domain of PC Specification. AUCS/Technical Report TR0001. Department of Computing Science, University of Aberdeen.Google Scholar
- 8.Klein, M. (2001). Combining and relating ontologies: an analysis of problems and solutions. Workshop on Ontologies and Information Sharing, IJCAI’01, Seattle, USA, August 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.Mitra, P., Kersten, M., & Wiederhold, G. (2000). Graph-Oriented Model for Articulation of Ontology Interdependencies. Proc. of the 7th International Conf. on Extending Database Technology, March 2000. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 10.Noy, N.F. & Musen, M.A. (2000). PROMPT: Algorithm and Tool for Automated Ontology Merging and Alignment. Proc. of the 17 th National Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-2000), Austin, USA.Google Scholar
- 11.Schreiber, G., Akkermans, H., Anjewierden, A., de Hoog, R., Shadbolt, N., Van de Velde, W., & Wielinga, B. (2000). Ch. 6: “Template Knowledge Models” and Ch. 8: “Knowledge-Elicitation Techniques” in Knowledge Engineering and Management: The CommonKADS Methodology. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- 13.Shnier, M. (1996). Dictionary of PC Hardware and Data Communications Terms, (1st Ed). O’Reilly & Associates.Google Scholar
- 14.Sowa, J.F., ed. (1998) Conceptual Graphs, draft proposed American National Standard, NCITS.T2/98–003.Google Scholar
- 15.Visser, P.R.S., Jones, D.M., Bench-Capon, T.J.M., & Shave, M.J.R. (1997). An Analysis of Ontology Mismatches; Heterogeneity vs. Interoperability. AAAI 1997 Spring Symposium on Ontological Engineering, Stanford, USA.Google Scholar
- 16.Wiederhold, G. (1992). Mediators in the Architecture of Future Information Systems. IEEE Computer, March 1992.Google Scholar
- 17.Wiederhold, G. (1994). An Algebra for Ontology Composition. Proc. of 1994 Monterey Workshop on Formal Methods, September 1994.Google Scholar