kHz-Rate Neural Processors
This chapter presents a design example of a kHz-rate neural processor. A brief introduction to kHz design will be provided, followed by an introduction to neural spike sorting. Several spike-sorting algorithms will be reviewed. Lastly, the design of a 130-μW, 64- channel spike-sorting DSP chip will be presented.
KeywordsCovariance Convolution Sorting Lost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. F. Kaiser, “On a Simple Algorithm to Calculate the ‘Energy’ of a Signal,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Apr. 1990, vol. 1, pp. 381–384.Google Scholar
- Z. Nadasdy et al., "Comparison of Unsupervised Algorithms for On-line and Off-line Spike Sorting," presented at the 32nd Annual Meeting Soc. for Neurosci., Nov. 2002. [Online]. Available: http://www.vis.caltech.edu/~zoltanGoogle Scholar
- R.A. Normann, “Microfabricated Electrode Arrays for Restoring Lost Sensory and Motor Functions,” in Proc. International Conference on TRANSDUCERS, Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, pp. 959-962, June 2003.Google Scholar
- Karkare V, Gibson S, Marković D (2009) "A 130 uW, 64-Channel Spike-Sorting DSP Chip," in Proc. IEEE Asian Solid-State Circuits Conf, Nov, pp 289–292Google Scholar
- C. Shi, Floating-point to Fixed-point Conversion, Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, 2004.Google Scholar
- Nanda R, Yang C-H, Marković D (2008) “DSP Architecture Optimization in Matlab/Simulink Environment”, in Proc. Int. Symp. VLSI Circuits, June, pp 192–193Google Scholar
- Gibson S, Judy JW, Marković D (2008) "Comparison of Spike-Sorting Algorithms for Future Hardware Implementation," in Proc. Int. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conf, Aug, pp 5015–5020Google Scholar
- Kim KH, Kim SJ (Oct. 2000) "Neural Spike Sorting under Nearly 0-db Signal-to-noise Ratio using Nonlinear Energy Operator and Artificial Neural-network Classifier," IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng 47(10):1406–1411Google Scholar
- Mukhopadhyay S, Ray G (Feb. 1998) "A New Interpretation of Nonlinear Energy Operator and its Efficacy in Spike Detection," IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng 45(2):180–187Google Scholar
- Obeid I, Wolf PD (Jun. 2004) "Evaluation of Spike-detection Algorithms for a Brain-machine Interface Application," IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng 51(6):905–911Google Scholar
- Zviagintsev A, Perelman Y, Ginosar R (2005) “Low-power Architectures for Spike Sorting”, in Proc. Int. IEEE EMBS Conf. Neural Eng, Mar, pp 162–165Google Scholar