The Development of a Northeast Asian Security and Economic Community
This chapter has three purposes. First, to analyze the present circumstances and to present perspectives of existing Northeast Asian Security Community. Second, to develop the three scenarios concerning the possibilities and probabilities of developing the Northeast Asian security regime.
Third, to present the implications these scenarios will provide in terms of Northeast Asian economic institutions. The economic implications are related to the economic benefits and costs/issues to be delivered from the development of the Northeast Asian Security Community in the process of three scenarios.
KeywordsForeign Direct Investment Free Trade Agreement Korean Economy Security Alliance Bilateral Free Trade Agreement
- Bajoria, Jayshree, “The China–North Korea Relationship,” June 18, 2008, Council on Foreign Relations.Google Scholar
- Chung, Ok-Nim, “Solving the Security Puzzle in Northeast Asia: A Multilateral Security Regime,” November 22, 2008.Google Scholar
- Haggard, Stephan and Norland, Marcus, “A Security and Peace Mechanism for Northeast Asia: The Economic Dimension,” April 2008, Peterson Institute.Google Scholar
- Klingner, Bruce, “S. Korea’s Uncertain Path with China,” May 22, 2008, The Heritage Foundation.Google Scholar
- Ku, Yangmo, “Perceptual Change, Institutionalization and South Korean Foreign Economic Policy Toward Japan,” April 12–15, 2007, Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association.Google Scholar
- Manyin, Mark E., “South Korea–U.S. Economic Relations: Cooperation, Friction, and Prospects for a Free Trade Agreement (FTA),” February 9, 2006, CRS Report for Congress.Google Scholar
- Snyder, Scott, “Lee Myung-bak and the Future of Sino-South Korean Relations,” April 10, 2008, Nautilus Institute.Google Scholar
- Chinastakes.com, “China–Japan–South Korea FTA Saga: More Thunder, Little Rain,” May 5, 2008.Google Scholar
- Redorbit.com, “South Korean Agency Previews President’s Visit to Russia,” September 28, 2008.Google Scholar
- Russiatoday.com, “Russia–South Korea Trade Ties Look Beyond Energy,” September 30, 2008.Google Scholar