Model updating methodologies for multibody simulation models: application to a full-scale wind turbine model
In the industrial environment, the request for accurate models able to predict the behavior of a structure in different operating conditions is continuously increasing. To analyze the dynamic performances of complex mechanisms, multibody models are widely used, in particular if control laws for these systems need to be defined and tested. Wind turbines represent a typical application in which multibody models are used for control laws development. In this paper, an Experimental Modal Analysis campaign on the CART-3 wind turbine is used as reference to update a tailored multibody model. Standard model updating techniques based on mode shapes and natural frequencies are adapted to be used in a professional CAE environment. The results obtained show a big influence of the correlation indices selected to drive the updating phase.
KeywordsWind Turbine Mode Shape Pareto Front Multiobjective Optimization Single Objective Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Friswell M.I. and Mottershead J.E., Finite Element Model Updating in Structural Dynamics, Kluwer Academic Publisher, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Heylen W., Lammens S. and Sas P., Modal Analysis Theory and Testing, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Department Werktuigkunde, Leuven, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Brüls O., Fisette P. and Verlinden O., Computer-Aided analysis of rigid and flexible multibody system, GraSMech Course 2009-2010 material, Université Catholique de Louvain, 2010.Google Scholar
- 9.Noesis Solutions, Optimus Rev. 9 Theory Manual, Leuven, Belgium, 2009.Google Scholar
- 11.Wright A.D., Fingersh L.J., and Stol K.A., Designing and testing controls to mitigate tower dynamic loads in the controls advanced research turbine, 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit,Wind Energy Symposium, Reno, Nevada, USA, 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.Manzato S., Peeters B., Osgood R. and Luczak M., Wind Turbine Model Validation by Full-Scale Vibration Test, Proceedings of the European Wind Energy Conference(EWEC) 2010, Warsaw, PL, 2010.Google Scholar
- 13.Osgood R., Bir G., Mutha H., Peeters B., Luczak M. and Sablon G., Full-scale modal wind turbine test: comparing shaker excitation with wind excitation, Proceedings of IMAC 28, Jacksonville, FL, USA, February 2010.Google Scholar