Acoustical Imaging of Living Cells During Volume Regulation
Information about the morphomechanical changes during cell swelling could be a basis for understanding sensoring in volume regulatory signal transduction. We therefore observed living human keratinocytes of the line Hacat (Boukamp et al. 1988) during RVD with reflection scanning acoustic microscopy using an ELS AM operated at 1 Ghz. The aquired images clearly showed topographic changes during cell swelling and RVD. A transient, reversible decrease in ultrasound velocity profiles could be determined from extrema of interference fringes using an iterative algorithm method (Litniewski and Bereiter-Hahn, 1990). This indicates a reversible change in physical properties of the cytocortex which could be the mechanical basis for the unknown volume sensor of animal cells.
KeywordsPenicillin Streptomycin Cytosol Hepes Gelatin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boukamp P., Petrussevska R.T., Breitkreutz D., Hornung J., Markham A. 1988. Normal keratinization in a spontaneously immortalized aneuploid human keratinocyte cell line. Journ Cell Biol. 106: 761–771Google Scholar
- Chou, L., Firth, J.D., Uitto, V.J. and Brunette, D.M. 1995. Substratum topography alters cell shape and regulates fibronectin mRNA level, mRNA stability, secretion and assembly in human fibroblasts. Journ Cell Sci 108:1536–1573Google Scholar
- Davies PF., Robotewskyj A. and Griem ML. 1994. Quantitative studies of endothelial cell adhesion. Directional remodeling of focal adhesion sites in response to flow forces. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 93(5):2031–8Google Scholar
- Dufort PA. and Lumsden CJ. 1993. Cellular automaton model of the actin cytoskeleton. Cell Motility & the Cytoskeleton. 25(1):87–104Google Scholar
- Heidemann SR and Buxbaum RE. 1994. Mechanical tension as a regulator of axonal development. Neurotoxicology 15(1):95–107Google Scholar
- Klymkowsky MW. Karnovsky A. 1994. Morphogenesis and the cytoskeleton: studies of the Xenopus embryo. Developmental Biology. 165(2):372–84Google Scholar
- Litniewski J., Bereiter-Hahn J. 1990. Measurements of cells in culture by scanning acoustic microscopy. Journ Microsc. 158: 95–107Google Scholar
- Nicklas, R.B., Ward, S.C and G.J. Gorbsky. 1995. Kinetochore chemistry is censitive to tension and may link mitotic force to a cell cycle checkpoint Journ Cell Biol 130:929–939Google Scholar