Speech Representation in the Auditory Nerve and Ventral Cochlear Nucleus
- 240 Downloads
The representation of speech-like stimuli in the auditory nerve and cochlear nucleus have been the subject of numerous studies over the past 20 years (Blackburn and Sachs, 1990; Geisler, 1988; Kiang and Moxon, 1974; Palmer, et al., 1986; Sachs and Young, 1979; Young and Sachs, 1979). In both the auditory nerve and cochlear nucleus, for exam- ple, the spectra of vowels can be represented in terms of average rate (Sachs and Young, 1979) or the temporal patterns of firing (phase-locking; Blackburn and Sachs, 1990; Young and Sachs, 1979) or a combination of the two (Blackburn and Sachs, 1990; Young and Sachs, 1979). In this chapter we focus on average rate representations.
KeywordsAuditory Nerve Cochlear Nucleus Good Frequency Ventral Cochlear Nucleus Selective Listening
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bata, P. E.(1985) Testing Stimulus Encoding in the Auditory Nerve. Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University.Google Scholar
- Bourk, T. R. (1976) Electrical Responses of Neural Units in the Anteroventral Cochlear nucleus of the Cat. Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Delgutte, B. (1982). Some correlates of phonetic distinctions at the level of the auditory nerve. In R. Carlson & B. Granstrom (Eds.), The representation of speech in the peripheral auditory system (pp. 131–149). Amsterdam: Elsevier Biomdical Press.Google Scholar
- Geisler, C. D. (1988). Representation of speech sounds in the auditory nerve. J. Phonetics, 16, 20–35.Google Scholar
- Green, D. M., & Swets, J. A. (1974). Signal Detection Theory and Psychophysics. New York: Krieger.Google Scholar
- Keilson, S. E., Richards, V. M, Wyman, B. T., & Young, E. D. (1995). Pitch-tagged spectral representations in the cochlear nucleus. ARO Abstr., 18, 128.Google Scholar
- Le Prell, G., Sachs, M. B., & May, B. J. (1996). Representation of vowel-like spectra by discharge rate responses of individual auditory-nerve fibers. Auditory Neurosci., 2, 275–288.Google Scholar
- May, B. J., Huang, A., LePrell, G., & Hienz, R. D. (1996). Vowel formant frequency discrimination in cats: Comparison of auditory nerve representations and psychophysical thresholds. Aud. Neurosci., 3, 135–162.Google Scholar
- Oppenheim, A. V., & Wilsky, A. S. (1983). Signals and Systems. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Winslow, R. L., Barta, P. E., & Sachs, M. B. (1987). Rate coding in the auditory nerve. In W. A. Yost & C. S. Watson (Eds.), Auditory Processing of Complex Sounds (pp. 212–224). Hillsdale, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc.Google Scholar