Sintering of Sulphoaluminate Clinker
Sulphoaluminates or expansive cement clinker, which contains 4CaO.3Al2O3.SO3 (C4A3S) as the predominant crystal phase, can be synthesized at a significantly lower temperature (1100–1200°C) than Portland cement clinker (approx. 1500°C). We have investigated the process of dynamic sintering of sulphoaluminate clinker using dilatometry analysis with the purpose of establishing the mechanism of mass transport. Considering the fact that sulphoaluminate clinker is obtained at lower temperatures, it was useful to establish whether clinker of this cement could be ground more easily, as a high amount of specific energy is used for this operation.
KeywordsFurnace Hydration Shrinkage Lost Anhydrite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Kurdowsky, C. M. George and F. P. Sorrentino, Special cements, Proc. 8th Int. Cong. Chem. Cement, Rio de Janeiro, Vol.1, 292–318 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.P.K. Menta, Investigations on energy-saving cements, World Cement Technology, May, 166–177 (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Sudoh, T. Ohta and H. Harada, High strength cement in the CaO-Al2O3-SiO2-SO3 system and its application, Proc. 7th Int. Cong. Chem. Cement, Paris, Vol. 3, Theme V, 152–157 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.L. Santoro, R. Garofano and G. L. Valenti, Calcium sulfoaluminate made from phosphogypsum and its hydration properties, Proc. 8th Int. Cong. Chem. Cement, Rio de Janeiro, Vol. 4, 389–394 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.G. A. Mudbhatkal, P. S. Parmeswaran, A. S. Heble, B. V. B. Pat and A. K. Chatterjee, Non-allitic cement from calcium sulfoaluminate clinker: optimisation for high-strength and low-temperature application, Proc. 8th Int. Cong. Chem. Cement, Rio de Janeiro, Vol. 4, 364–370 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.Lj. Petrasinovic, M. Stefanovic, B. Zivanovic et all, Synthesis of sulphoaluminate clinker on the basis of domestic raw materials, Materials and constructions, 35, 1–2, 44-48 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.A. H. Egoloev, I. F. Petersen, Die mechanischen eigenschaften von klinker bei hoher temperatur, J. Zement-Kalk-Gips, 34, 591–594 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.E. B. Allison, P. Brock, J. White, The reology of aggregates containing a liquid phase with special reference to the mechanical properties of refractories at high temperatures, Trans. Brit. Ceram. Soc, 58, 495–529(1959).Google Scholar