This chapter gives an overview of the design and implementation of the Ariel active DBMS. The query language of Ariel is a subset of POSTQUEL, extended with a new production-rule sublanguage. The Ariel rule system is tightly coupled with query and update processing. Ariel rules can have conditions based on a mix of selections, joins, events, and transitions. For testing rule conditions, Ariel makes use of a discrimination network composed of a special data structure for testing single-relation selection conditions efficiently, and a modified version of the TREAT algorithm, called A-TREAT, for testing join conditions.
KeywordsRule Condition Query Optimizer Rule System Rule Language Select Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ABC+76]M.M. Astrahan, M.W. Blasgen, D.D. Chamberlin, K.P. Eswaran, J.N. Gray, P.P. Griffiths, W.F. King, R.A. Lorie, P.R. McJones, J.W. Mehl, G.R. Putzolu, I.L. Traiger, B.W. Wade, and V. Watson. System R: Relational Approach to Database Management. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 1(2):97–137, June 1976.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [For81]C.L. Forgy. OPS5 User’s Manual. Technical Report CMU-CS-81-135, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, July 1981.Google Scholar
- [HBH+95]E.N. Hanson, S. Bodagala, M. Hasan, G. Kulkarni, and J. Rangarajan. Optimized Rule Condition Testing in Ariel Using Gator Betworks. Technical Report TR-95-027, University of Florida CIS Dept., October 1995. http://www.cis.ufl.edu/cis/tech-reports/.
- [HCD+97]E.N. Hanson, I-C. Chen, R. Dastur, K. Engel, V. Ramaswamy, C. Xu, and W. Tan. Flexible and Recoverable Interaction Between Applications and Active Databases. VLDB Journal, 1997. Accepted.Google Scholar
- [HCKW90]E.N. Hanson, M. Chaabouni, C. Kim, and Y. Wang. A Predicate Matching Algorithm for Database Rule Systems. In Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conference on Management of Data, pages 271–280, May 1990.Google Scholar
- [HK97]E.N. Hanson and S. Khosla. An Introduction to the TriggerMan Asynchronous Trigger Processor. In Proc. of the 3rd Intl. Workshop on Rules in Database Systems, pages 51–66. Springer Verlag, June 1997.Google Scholar
- [Mir87]D.P. Miranker. TREAT: A Better Match Algorithm for AI Production Systems. In Proc. AAAI National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pages 42–47, August 1987.Google Scholar