A Proposed Jini Infrastructure to Support a Java Message Passing Implementation
In this paper we sketch out a proposed infrastructure for a reference implementation for message passing in Java (MPJ), the Java Grande Forum’s MPI-like message-passing API [1,2]. The proposal relies heavily on RMI and Jini for finding computational resources, creating slave processes, and handling failures. User-level communication is implemented efficiently directly on top of Java sockets.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Carpenter, V. Getov, G. Judd, T. Skjellum and G. Fox, MPI for Java: Position Document and Draft API Specification, Java Grande Forum, JGF-TR-3, November 1998, http://www. javagrande.org /Google Scholar
- 2.M.A. Baker, D.B. Carpenter, G.c. Fox, S.H. Ko and X. Li, mpi J ava: A Java MPI Interface, accepted for publication in the International Journal Scientific Programming to appear in 1999 ISSN 1058-9244, http://www.es.ef.ae. uk /hpjworkshop/Google Scholar
- 3.G. Judd, M. Clement and Q. Snell, DOGMA: Distributed Object Group Management Architecture, ACM 1998 Workshop on Java for High-Performance Network Computing. Palo Alto, February 1998, Concurrency: Practice and Experience, 10 (11–13), 1998,Google Scholar
- 4.K. Dincer, jrnpi and a Performance Instrumentation Analysis and Visualization Tool for jrnpi, First UK Workshop on Java for High Performance Network Computing. Europar 98, September 1998, http://www.cs. cf.ac.uk/hpjworkshop/Google Scholar
- 5.K. Arnold, B. O’Sullivan, R.W. Scheifler, J.Wa1do and A. Wollrath, The Jini Specification, Addison Wesley, 1999Google Scholar
- 6.K.W. Edwards, Core Jini, Prentice Hall, 1999Google Scholar
- 7.J. Waldo, G. Wyant, A. Wollrath and S. Kendall, A Note on Distributed Computing, Sun Microsystems Laboratories. SMU TR-94-29, 1994Google Scholar
- 8.M. Welsh. Using Java to Make Servers Scream, Invited talk at ACM 1999 Java Grande Conference, San Francisco, CA, June, 1999,Google Scholar
- 9.C. Chang and T. von Eiken, Interfacing Java to the Virtual Interface Architecture, ACM 1999 Java Grande Conference, ACM Press, June, 1999Google Scholar
- 10.MPICH - A Portable Implementation of MPI, http://www.mes.anl. gov/mpi/mpich/Google Scholar
- 11.Message Passing Interface Forum, MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA, June 1995, http://www.mes.anl. gov/mpiGoogle Scholar
- 12.G. Crawford, Y. Dandass and A. Skjellum, The JMPI Commercial Message Passing Environment and Specification: Requirements, Design, Motivations, Strategies, and Target Users, http://www.mpi - sof tteeh.eom/publiea tionsGoogle Scholar