Object-oriented and multimedia databases that are entangled with the manipulation of multi-valued attributes and complex objects in general, tend to raise problems that involve particular properties and needs, such as the constrained domain of set-valued attributes in contrast to the nonconstrained one of text-databases, and the superset, perfect match and subset queries that are frequently asked. The focus of this chapter is on the advantages that could arise from the creation of a hybrid structure handling set-valued attributes in the form of signatures, based on the structures of hashing and the S-tree.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Bozanis, C. Makris, A. Tsakalidis. “Parametric Weighted Filter: an Efficient Dynamic Manipulation of Signature Files”. The Computer Journal, Vol.38, No.6, pp.478–488, 1995.Google Scholar
- E. Bertino, B.C. Ooi, R. Sacks-Davis, K.L. Tan, J. Zobel, B. Shidlovsky, B. Catania. “Indexing Techniques for Advanced Database Systems”. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- U. Deppisch. “S-tree: a Dynamic Balanced Signature Index for Office Retrieval”. Proceedings 9th ACM International Conference on Information Retrieval (SI-GIR’86), pp.77–87, Pisa, Italy, 1986.Google Scholar
- Y. Ishikawa, H. Kitagawa, N. Ohbo. “Evaluation of Signature Files as Set Access Facilities in OODBs”. Proceedings ACM International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD’93), pp.247–256, Washington, DC, 1993.Google Scholar
- D.L. Lee, C.W. Leng. “A Partitioned Signature File Structure for Multiattribute and Text Retrieval”. Proceedings 6th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE’90), pp.389–397, Los Angeles, CA, 1990.Google Scholar
- W. Litwin. “Linear Hashing: a New Tool for Files and Table Addressing”. Proceedings 6th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB’80), pp.212–223, Montreal, Canada, 1980.Google Scholar
- T.A. Mueck, M.L. Polaschek. “Index Data Structures in Object-Oriented Databases”. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- Z. Xie, J. Han. “Join Index Hierarchies for Supporting Efficient Navigation in Object-oriented Databases”. Proceedings 20th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB’94), pp.522–533, Santiago, Chile, 1994.Google Scholar