Using Your Writing Time Efficiently
- 5k Downloads
Scientific writing is hard work. Granted, it is not as physically exhausting as swinging a pick or as mentally demanding as solving a nonlinear differential equation but it requires focus and patience. Moreover, the solutions are not exact. You do not draft a document and sit back and say, “Perfect.” No matter how many times you revise a document, you will find phrases that will not sound quite right and the beginnings of sentences in which you feel compelled to state five details at once.
- 1.Richard Rhodes, How to Write: Advice and Reflections (New York: William Morrow, 1995), p. 10.Google Scholar
- 2.Sir Francis Bacon, “Of Studies,” The Essays (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1985). Original: “Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.”Google Scholar
- 3.Jacob C. Snyder, Curtis K. Stimpson, Karen A. Thole, and D. Mongillo, “Build Direction Effects on Additively Manufactured Channels,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol.138, no. 5 (2016), pp. 51006–8.Google Scholar
- 4.Curtis K. Stimpson, Jacob C. Snyder, Karen A. Thole, and D. Mongillo, “Roughness Effects on Flow and Heat Transfer for Additively Manufactured Channels,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 138, no. 5 (2016), pp. 51008–10.Google Scholar
- 5.Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (New York: Scribner, 2000), p. 153.Google Scholar
- 6.George Whitesides, “Whitesides’ Group: Writing a Paper,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 15 (2004), pp.1375–1377.Google Scholar
- 7.Richard Rhodes, How to Write: Advice and Reflections (New York: William Morrow, 1995), p. 10.Google Scholar
- 8.André Dubus, conversation with author (Sep 1983).Google Scholar
- 9.Hermann Helmholtz, in “Ziele und Wege des Sprachschatzes im ärztlichen und naturwissenschaftlichen Schriftum” by Erwin Liek, Münchener medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 69 (1922) p. 1760.Google Scholar
- 10.Raymond Carver, “On Writing,” from The Story and Its Writer, An Introduction to Short Fiction, 6th ed., edited by Ann Charters (Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2003).Google Scholar
- 11.Raymond Carver, “A Storyteller’s Shoptalk,” The New York Times on the Web, https://www.nytimes.com/books/01/01/21/specials/carver-shoptalk.html (15 Feb 1981).