Postpartum Hemorrhage in a Conflict Setting
Mapendo is a 24-year-old woman who has just given birth to her fifth child after a 3-day labor. It is the middle of the night and although quite dark, the birth attendant can tell there has been too much bleeding.
KeywordsMaternal Death Ergot Alkaloid Home Birth Armed Group Oral Misoprostol
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Anderson L. TRUSTLAW POLL—Afghanistan is most dangerous country for women. 2011. http://www.trust.org/trustlaw/news/trustlaw-poll-afghanistan-is-most-dangerous-country-for-women/.
- Brennan R, Coghlan B, Hardy C, Lewis J, Ngoy P, Nkamgang Bemo V, et al. Mortality in the Democratic Republic of Congo: an ongoing crisis. http://www.rescue.org/sites/default/files/migrated/resources/2007/2006-7_congomortalitysurvey.pdf.
- Casey S, Mitchell K, Mulamba Amisi I, Migombano Haliza M, Aveledi B, Kalenga P, et al. Use of facility assessment data to improve reproductive health service delivery in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Confl Health. 2009;3:12. Published Online 2009 December 21. doi: 10.1186/1752-1505-3-12. PMCID: PMC2809040.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- CIA World Factbook. 2011. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cg.html
- Demographic and Health Surveys project (MEASURE DHS). Democratic Republic of the Congo, Demographic and Health Survey 2007, Key Findings. Calverton, MD: Macro International, Inc. Available at: http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/SR141/SR141.pdf. Accessed 9/17/2012.
- Dolea C, AbouZahr C, Stein C. Global burden of maternal haemorrhage in the year 2000. WHO. 2003. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/bod_maternalhaemorrhage.pdf
- Family Care International. Mapping misoprostol for postpartum hemorrhage: organizational activities, challenges, and opportunities. FCI. 2011. http://familycareintl.org/UserFiles/File/Mapping_FINAL_SM.pdf
- Goldberg AB, Greenberg MA, Darney PD. Misoprostol and pregnancy. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(1):38–47.Google Scholar
- Lindahl C. Misoprostol added to WHO list of essential medicines for PPH. Maternal Health Task Force. 2011. http://www.who.int/pmnch/media/blogs/20110519_misoprostol/en/index.html
- Making childbirth safer, use of oxytocin in the Uniject™ injection system to prevent severe bleeding. http://www.path.org/projects/uniject-oxytocin.php
- Mangiaterra V, Pendse R, McClure K, Rosen J. Adolescent pregnancy. MPS Notes. 2008;1(1). WHO. http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/mpsnnotes_2_lr.pdf
- Peterman A, Palermo T, Bredenkamp C. Estimates and determinants of sexual violence against women in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Am J Public Health. 2011;101(6):1060–7. http://www2.carleton.ca/africanstudies/ccms/wp-content/ccms-files/AJPH-Sexual-Violence-DRC.pdf.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- POPPHI (USAID’s Prevention of Postpartum Hemorrhage Initiative). Active management of the third stage of labor. Data obtained from national health network hospitals in Guatemala: July to August 2006. http://www.pphprevention.org/files/Guatemalafinalreport.pdf
- Prendville WJ, Elbourned D, McDonald S. Active versus expectant management in the third stage of labor. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;3:CD000007.Google Scholar
- Save the Children. Nutrition in the first 1,000 days. State of the world’s mothers 2012. 2012. http://www.savethechildren.org/atf/cf/%7B9def2ebe-10ae-432c-9bd0-df91d2eba74a%7D/STATEOFTHEWORLDSMOTHERSREPORT2012.PDF.
- Tsu VD, Langer A, Aldrich T. Postpartum hemorrhage in developing countries: is the public health community using the right tools? Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004 Jun;85 Suppl 1:S42–51.Google Scholar
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Health Organization (WHO), World Bank. Trends in maternal mortality: 1990 to 2010. WHO. 2012. http://www.unfpa.org/public/home/publications/pid/10728
- WHO, UNICEF. Countdown to 2015: maternal, newborn and child survival. Building a future for women and children: the 2012 report. WHO and UNICEF. 2012. http://www.countdown2015mnch.org/documents/2012Report/2012-Complete.pdf
- WHO, UNFPA, UNICEF, World Bank. Managing complications in pregnancy and childbirth: a guide for midwives and doctors. Geneva: WHO; 2000. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2007/9241545879_eng.pdf.Google Scholar
- WHO. Maternal mortality fact sheet no. 348. 2012. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs348/en/index.html.
- WHO. The world health report 2005. Make every mother and child count. Chapter 4: attending to 136 million births, every year. WHO. 2005. http://www.who.int/whr/2005/chapter4/en/index1.html.
- WHO. WHO guidelines for the management of postpartum haemorrhage and retained placenta. WHO. 2009. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241598514_eng.pdf
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013