Customer–Provider Strategic Alignment: A Maturity Model
This chapter presents a new model for assessing the maturity of a customer–provider relationship from a collaborative service delivery perspective: the Customer–Provider Strategic Alignment Maturity (CPSAM) Model. This model builds on recent research for effectively managing the customer–provider relationship in IT service outsourcing contexts and a validated model for assessing alignment across internal IT service units and their business customers within the same organization. After reviewing relevant literature by service science and information systems researchers, the six overarching components of the maturity model are presented: value measurements, governance, partnership, communications, human resources and skills, and scope and architecture. A key assumption of the model is that all of the components need be addressed to assess and improve customer–provider alignment. Examples of specific metrics for measuring the maturity level of each component over the five levels of maturity are also presented.
KeywordsService system maturity framework IT outsourcing customer–provider strategic alignment customer–provider relationship management collaborative service delivery IT services alignment
- Balaji, S. (2008). IS Outsourcing Effectiveness: Understanding the Effects of Relationship Diversities, Client Capabilities and Knowledge Capital Gains. Ph.D. Dissertation, Indiana University, Bloomington.Google Scholar
- Barretto, C. B. (2004). Weekender: Labor & Management. Business World, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Caldwell, B. (2002). 2001 Trends in IT Outsourcing Delivery, Solution Development, Marketing, Sales and Alliances. Gartner Dataquest. http://www.Itclive.com/e-mail/docs/2001trendsoutsourcing.pdf . Accessed 18 November 2004.
- Grover, V., Cheon, M.J. and Teng, J.T.C. (1996). The Effect of Service Quality and Partnership on the Outsourcing of Information Systems Functions. Journal of Management Information Systems, 12(4), 89–116.Google Scholar
- Hawk, S., Zheng, W. and Zmud, R.W. (2009). Overcoming Knowledge-Transfer Barriers in Infrastructure Management Outsourcing: Lessons from a Case Study. MIS Quarterly Executive, 8(3), 123–139.Google Scholar
- Heskett, J.L., Jones, T.O., Loveman, G.W., Sasser Jr. W.E., and Schlesinger, L.A. (1994). Putting the Service-Profit Chain to Work. Harvard Business Review, 72(2), 164–174.Google Scholar
- Jia, R., Reich, B.H. and Pearson, M.J. (2008). IT Service Climate: An Extension to IT Service Quality Research, Journal of the Association of Information Systems, 9(5), 294–320.Google Scholar
- Johnson, M.D. and Seines, F. (2004). Customer Portfolio Management: Towards a Dynamic Theory of Exchange Relationships. Journal of Marketing, 68, 5.Google Scholar
- Keen, P.G. (1991). Shaping the Future: Business Design through Information Technology. Harvard Business School Press, Boston.Google Scholar
- Lee, J. and Kim, Y. (1999). Effect of Partnership Quality on IS Outsourcing Success: Conceptual Framework and Empirical Validation. Journal of Management Information Systems, 15(4), 29–61.Google Scholar
- Luftman, J. (2000). Assessing Business-IT Alignment Maturity. Communications of the Association of Information Systems, 4(14), 1–50.Google Scholar
- Luftman, J. and Kempaiah, R. (2007). An Update on Business-IT Alignment: A Line Has Been Drawn. MIS Quarterly Executive, 6(3), 165–177.Google Scholar
- Luftman, J., Kempaiah, R. and Rigoni, E. (2009). Key Issues for IT Executives 2008. MIS Quarterly Executive, 8(3), 151–159.Google Scholar
- March, J.G. (1988). Decisions and Organizations. New York: Basil Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Marcolin, B.L. (2002). Spiraling Effects of IS Outsourcing Contract Interpretations. In R. Hirschheim, A. Heinzl and J. Dibbern (Eds.), Information Systems Outsourcing: Enduring Themes, Emergent Patterns and Future Directions (pp. 277–311). Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Markus, L.M., Steinfeld, C.W. and Wigand, R.T. (2006). Industry-wide Information Systems Standardization as Collective Action: The Case Study of the U.S. Residential Mortgage Industry. MIS Quarterly, 30 (Special Issue), 439–465.Google Scholar
- Mehta, N. and Mehta, A. (2009). Reducing the Client Risks from Human Resource Challenges of Offshore IT Vendors. MIS Quarterly Executive, 8(4), 191–201.Google Scholar
- Nash, E. (2005). Assessing IT as a Driver or Enabler of Transformation in the Pharmaceutical Industry Employing the Strategic Alignment Maturity Model. Ph.D. Dissertation, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken.Google Scholar
- Nolan, R. and McFarlan, F.W. (2005). Information Technology and the Board of Directors. Harvard Business Review, 83(10), 96–106.Google Scholar
- Parasuraman, A., Berry, L.L. and Zeithaml, V.A. (1988). SERVQUAL: A Multiple-Item Scale for Measuring Consumer Perceptions of Service Quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12–40.Google Scholar
- Poston, R.S., Kettinger, W.J. and Simon, J.C. (2009). Managing the Vendor Set: Achieving Best Pricing and Quality Service in IT Outsourcing. MIS Quarterly Executive, 8(2), 45–58.Google Scholar
- Ranganathan, C. and Balaji, S. (2007). Critical Capabilities for Offshore Outsourcing of Information Systems. MIS Quarterly Executive, 6(3), 147–164.Google Scholar
- Rigoni, E., Lunardi, G., Brodbeck, A. and Maçada, A. (2006). Validation of Quantitative Instruments in Information Systems Research: A Study of Strategic Alignment Maturity. Business Association of Latin American Studies (BALAS), http://balas.org/
- Simhan, R. (2002). An Inside View of Outsourcing. Business Line online edition. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2002/10/30/stories/2002103000020100.htm. Accessed 22 October 2005.
- Sledgianowski, D. (2004). Identification of Factors Affecting the Maturity of Business-IT Strategic Alignment. Ph.D. Dissertation, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken.Google Scholar
- Spohrer, J., Anderson, L., Pass, N. and Ager, T. (2008). Service Science and Service-Dominant Logic. Otago Forum 2 – Academic Papers. http://www.commerce.otago.ac.nz/marketing/events/OtagoForum/Final%20forum%20papers/Otago%20Forum%20Paper%202_Spohrer.pdf. Accessed 10 October 2009.
- Williamson, O.E. (1999). The Mechanisms of Governance. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Zeithaml, V., Parasuraman, A. and Berry, L. (1991). Refinement and Reassessment of the SERVQUAL Scale. Journal of Retailing, 67(4), 420–450.Google Scholar