The Practice of Medical Psychology in an RxP State: New Opportunities for Comprehensive Pediatric Care
Psychologists and pediatricians have enjoyed a robust collegial relationship for many years. Primary areas of pediatrician collaboration have included, but are not limited to, general medical concerns, oncology, and neurology. Primary areas of psychological collaboration have included, but are not limited to, learning and attentional problems, affective and behavioral problems, enuresis and/or encopresis, trichotillomania, mental retardation, pervasive development disorders, eating disorders, parent–child interaction difficulties, and brain-behavior dysfunction/trauma.
KeywordsSerotonin Neuropathy Assimilation Hunt Fluoxetine
The authors wish to thank the following staff members at The Neuropsychology Center of Louisiana, LLC for their assistance: Ms. Taighlor Whittington, and Mrs. Traci Olivier.
- ADHD Parenting Success. (2008). ADHD in children: Common excuses and defenses by parents. Retrieved March 25, 2010 from www.adhdparentingsuccess.com/archives/102.
- Andrews, G., Crino, R., Lampe, L., Hunt, C., & Page, A. (1994). The treatment of anxiety disorders. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Azrin, N. H., & Foxx, R. M. (1974). Toilet training in less than a day. New York: Pocket Books.Google Scholar
- Baddeley, A. D. (2007). Working memory, thought, and action. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Barkley, R. A., & Benton, C. M. (1998). Your defiant child. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Barkley, R. A. (1987). Defiant children: A clinician’s manual for parent training. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Barrett, P., & Farrell, L. (2007). Behavioral family intervention for childhood anxiety. In J. M. Briesmeister & C. E. Schaefer (Eds.), Handbook of parent training: Helping parents prevent and solve problem behaviors (3rd ed., pp. 133–163). Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Brown, J. (1999). Bowen family systems theory and practice: Illustration and critique. Journal of Family Therapy, 20(2), 94–103.Google Scholar
- Brown, T. (2005). Attention deficit disorder: The unfocused mind in children and adults. New Haven: Yale University Press Health and Wellness.Google Scholar
- Cordes, M., & McLaughlin, T. F. (2004). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and rating scales with a brief review of the Conners Teacher Rating Scale (1998). International Journal of Special Education, 19(2), 23–34.Google Scholar
- Eichenbaum, H. (2008). Learning & memory. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Epocrates (2010). Retrieved June 15, 2010 from www.epocrates.com.
- Erikson, E. H. (1968). Identity: Youth and crisis. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Hollman, C. (2010). The use of medication in autism. Paper presented at the Louisiana Academy of Medical Psychologists Conference, Baton Rouge, LA.Google Scholar
- Netsmart Technologies. (2010). Infoscriber. Retrieved June 16, 2010 from www.ntst.com/products/infoscriber_products.asp.
- Kamphaus, R. W., Reynolds, C. R., Hatcher, N. M., & Kim, S. (2004). Treatment planning and evaluation with the Behavior Assessment System for Children (BASC). In M. Maruish (Ed.), The use of psychological testing for treatment planning and outcomes assessment: Instruments for children and adolescents (3rd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 331–354). Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- King, L. (2008). The science of psychology: An appreciative view (1st ed.). New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Louisiana State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. (2009). Prescription monitoring program (PMP). Retrieved from www.labp.com.
- Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. (2009). Medical Psychology. In In the News. Retrieved March 24, 2010 from http://www.lsbme.louisiana.gov/Blog/inthenews.aspx.
- Louisiana State Legislature. R.S. 40:2114. Retrieved March 24, 2010 from www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=98027.
- Martin, G., & Pear, J. (2006). Behavior modification: What it is and how to do it (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Myers, D. G. (2007). Psychology (8th ed.). New York: Worth Publishers.Google Scholar
- Nemeth, D. G., Marceaux, K. S., & Lewis, A. L. (2006). Group intervention in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita: The efficacy of hurricane anniversary wellness workshops. Presented at the 114th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, New Orleans, LA.Google Scholar
- Nemeth, D. G., Marceaux, K. S., Lewis, A. M., Lee, S. R., & Schechter, L. R. (2007). The neuropsychological profiles of bipolar male children. Presented at 29th Annual Convention of the Louisiana Psychological Association, Baton Rouge, LA.Google Scholar
- Nemeth, D. G., Olivier, T. W., Whittington, L. T., & May, N. E. (2010). Integrating the practices of outpatient clinical neuropsychology and medical psychology. Presented at the 38th Annual Meeting of the International Neuropsychological Society, Acapulco, Mexico.Google Scholar
- Nemeth, D. G., Ray, K. P., & Schexnayder, M. M. (2003). Helping your angry child: Worksheets, fun puzzles, and engaging games to help you communicate better (1st ed.). Oakland: New Harbinger.Google Scholar
- Novella, J. (2009). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or additional difficulties hampering development. Retrieved March 25, 2010 from http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/350/350-051/350-051.html.
- Reitan, R. M., & Wolfson, D. (1985). The Halstead-Reitan neuropsychological test battery: Therapy and clinical interpretation. Tucson: Neuropsychology Press.Google Scholar
- Reitan, R. M., & Wolfson, D. (1992). Neuropsychological evaluation of older children. South Tuscon: Neuropsychology Press.Google Scholar
- Reitan, R. M., & Wolfson, D. (2000). Mild head injury: Intellectual, cognitive, and emotional consequences. Tuscon: Neuropsychology Press.Google Scholar
- Semrud-Clikeman, M. (2001). Traumatic brain injury in children and adolescents: Assessment and intervention. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Stern, W. (1912). The Psychological Methods of intelligence Testing. Baltimore: Warwick and York.Google Scholar
- Stuart-Hamilton, I. (2007). An Asperger dictionary of everyday expressions (2nd ed.). Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley/Harbinger.Google Scholar
- Swanson, H. L., Harris, K. R., & Graham, S. (Eds.). (2003). Handbook of learning disabiltiies. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Terman, L. (1916). Stanford Revision of the Binet-Simon.Google Scholar
- Louisiana Board of Pharmacy. (2007). Title 46 – Professional and Occupational Standards. Retrieved from www.labp.com § 2921.
- Trozzi, M., & Dixon, S. (2000). Stressful events: Separation, loss, violence, and death. In S. Dixon & M. Stein (Eds.), Encounters with children: Pediatric behavior and development (3rd ed., pp. 547–567). St. Louis: Mosby.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (1996). HIPAA Law. Retrieved from www.cms.hhs.gov/HIPAAGenInfo/02_TheHIPAALawandRelated%20Information.asp#TopOfPage.
- Ward, B. C. (2005). Louisiana State Board of Examiners of Psychologists directory and statutory reference. (Available from Louisiana State Board of Examiners of Psychologists, 8280 YMCA Plaza Drive, Bldg. 8-B, Baton Rouge, LA. 70810).Google Scholar
- Wechsler, D. (2003). Wechsler Intelligence Scale for children (4th ed.) (WISC-IV ® ). San Antonio: Harcourt Assessment.Google Scholar
- Wong, B. Y. L. (Ed.). (1991). Learning about learning disabilities. San Diego: Academic.Google Scholar