Characterization Methodologies of Thermal Management Materials
The materials selection for thermal management of electronic packaging is influenced by thermal, electrical, physical and thermomechanical requirements of the device and its surrounding electrical system and by the environment to which the device will be exposed. The reliability of the finished device and electric system will depend not only on the characteristics of the individual materials but also on the interaction of package and thermal management materials at interfaces during exposure to such stresses as thermal gradients, temperature cycling, moisture, and contamination. This chapter will introduce general characterization methodologies of thermal management materials for assessing performance and reliability of electronic packaging, including thermal properties, electrical properties, thermomechanical analysis, as well as material microstructure and interface characterization, surface finish and contact interface compatibility, and reliability analysis and environmental evaluation.
KeywordsAtomic Force Microscope Solder Joint Test Piece Thermal Management Electronic Packaging
- Aller J (2007) Challenges of measuring thermal conductivity on deposited thin films and advantages of the 3-Omega method. http://courses.ucsd.edu/rherz/mae221a/reports/Aller_221A_F07.pdf. Accessed 03 March 2010.
- An W (2002) Industrial applications of speckle techniques – measurement of deformation and shape. Ph.D. thesis. Royal Institute of Technology. Stockholm, Sweden. http://www.diva-portal.org/diva/getDocument?urn_nbn_se_kth_diva-3342-2__fulltext.pdf. Accessed 09 March 2010.
- Anter (2007) Principal methods of thermal conductivity measurements. Technical Note #67. Anter Corporation. http://www.anter.com/TN67.htm. Accessed 01 March 2010.
- Bourlon A J G (2005) Thermal conductivity measurement by the 3ω method. Technical Note PR-TN 2005/01035. Philips Electronics, Koninklijke.Google Scholar
- Connor Z M, Fine M E, Achenbach J D, Seniw M E (1998) Using scanning acoustic microscopy to study subsurface defects and crack propagation in materials. JOM-e, http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9811/Connor/Connor-9811.html. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- Gorring M L (1998) X-ray diffraction. http://www.csam.montclair.edu/earth/eesweb/gorring/geos443/443notes/xray.html. Accessed 12 March 2010.
- Heaney M B (1999) Electrical conductivity and resistivity. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL. http://www.autex.spb.ru/download/wavelet/books/sensor/CH43.PDF. Accessed 03 March 2010.
- JEDEC (2004) Thermal shock. JESD22-A106B. JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, Arlington.Google Scholar
- Kim I C (2007) Experimental investigation of size effect on thermal conductivity for ultra-thin amorphous poly methyl methacrylate (PMMA) films. M.S. thesis. Texas A&M University.Google Scholar
- Lundgren U (2004) Characterization of components and materials for EMC barriers. PhD dissertation Lulea University of Technology, Sweden.Google Scholar
- Maglić K D, Cezairliyan A, Peletsky V E (eds) (1984) Compendium of thermophysical property measurement methods. Vol. 1. Survey of measurement techniques. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Maglić K D, Cezairliyan A, Peletsky V E (eds) (1992) Compendium of thermophysical property measurement methods. Vol. 2. Recommended measurement techniques and practices. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Post D, Han B (2009) Moiré interferometry. In: Sharpe Jr W N (ed) Springer handbook of experimental solid mechanics. http://www.springer.com/978-0-387-26883-5. Accessed 06 March 2010.
- Raad P E, Komarov P L, Burzo M G (2005) An integrated experimental and computational system for the thermal characterization of complex three-dimensional submicron electronic devices. 11th THERMINIC, Belgirate, Italy, September 2005.Google Scholar
- Raju A (2010) Transmission electron microscopy. http://www.sfermion.com/a253165-transmission-electron-microscopy.cfm. Accessed 12 March 2010.
- Rhoads J L (2008) Basic explanation of creep processes. http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne161/jlrhoads/creep.html. Accessed 10 March 2010.
- Schatten H, Pawley J B (2007) Biological low-voltage scanning electron microscopy. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Schmidt W F (2006) Mechanical design considerations. In: Ulrich R K and Brown W D (eds) Advanced electronic packaging, 2nd edn. Wiley, Hoboken.Google Scholar
- Symon K (1971) Mechanics. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.Google Scholar
- Tong X C (2009) Advanced materials for electromagnetic interference shielding. CRC Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Uher C (2005) Thermal conductivity of metals. In: Tritt T M (ed) Thermal conductivity: theory, properties, and applications. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Zimprich P, Zagar B G (2007) Advanced laser speckle techniques characterize the complex thermomechanical properties of thin multilayered structures. Proc Estonian Acad Sci Eng 13(4):394–408.Google Scholar