Development and Application of Advanced Thermal Management Materials
As the demand for ease and access-speed increase, managing the thermal issues of the advanced electronic packaging would pose significant challenges. Each customer premise has its own special requirements that may complicate the required cooling scheme. The cooling constraints associated with customer premises impose stringent necessities on the component, board and system level power dissipation and cooling options. Together, these constraints create a set of opportunities and challenges that will dictate the thermal management requirements for the products for the next generation. In response to these needs, there have been revolutionary advances in thermal management materials and cooling approaches, such as low coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), low-density materials with thermal conductivities up to 1,700 W/m K; increased reliability; reduced junction temperatures, reduced cost and weight; low CTE, thermally conductive printed circuit boards (PCBs), potentially eliminating the need for underfill; CTE matching allows direct attach with hard solders. There are a large and increasing number of microelectronic and optoelectronic applications with advanced thermal management technology, including: PCBs and PCB cold plates; heat sinks; microprocessor, RF (Radio Frequency) and power modules; heat spreaders and sinks; laser diode and light-emitting diode (LED) modules; thermoelectric coolers (TECs); plasma and liquid crystal displays (LCDs); detectors; and photovoltaics. This chapter covers the development roadmap of advanced thermal management materials, the growing array of applications, and future trends.
KeywordsFatigue Microwave Graphite Manifold Lithium
- Arik M, Weaver S (2004) Chip scale thermal management of high brightness LED packages. http://lib.semi.ac.cn:8080/tsh/dzzy/wsqk/SPIE/vol5530/5530–214.pdf. Accessed on 06 June 2010.
- Armstrong MK (2004) Advanced PCB design and layout for EMC – Part 2: Segregation and interface suppression. EMC & Compliance Journal 3: 32–42. http://www.compliance-club.com/keith_armstrong.asp. Accessed on 07 July 2010.
- Biber C (2008) LED light emission as a function of thermal conditions. http://www.biberthermal.com/Reference_Links/Publications_List/LED_Light_Emission_protected.doc. Accessed on 11 July 2010.
- Burke KA (2008) Advanced fuel cell system thermal management for NASA exploration missions. Sixth International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference and Exhibit (IECEC) sponsored by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Cleveland, Ohio, July 28–30, 2008.Google Scholar
- DOD (2010) Improved thermal management for high power and /or small form factor (SFF) tactical radios. http://www.dodsbir.net/Sitis/archives_display_topic.asp?Bookmark=28080. Accessed on 03 July 2010.
- English G (2007) Combined board level EMI shielding and thermal management. US Patent 7262369.Google Scholar
- Equitech et al (2009) A comprehensive national energy policy based on integrated and advanced renewable energy systems and citizen cooperative land ownership. http://www.cesj.org/homestead/strategies/community/Equitech-ExecutiveSummary.pdf. Accessed on 12 July 2010.
- Garbincius PH (2006) RDR cost estimating instructions & standards. http://www-ilcdcb.fnal.gov/RDR_Cost_Estimating_Instructions_23may06.pdf. Accessed on 05 July 2010.
- Hannafin J (2002) A novel approach to thermal management and EMI shielding via a metallic conformal coating on a plastic housing. Proceedings of the IMAPS, Telecom Hardware Solutions Conference, May 2002. http://vendor.parker.com/Groups/Seal/Divisions/Chomerics/Chomerics%20Product%20Library.nsf/05eb61a92fc220c78525695800744d42/5102fa16a41dd41d85256bc1004c61d2/$FILE/Article_ECOPLATE.pdf. Accessed on 08 July 2010.
- Horng RH, Horng RH et al (1997) Thermal management design from chip to package for high power InGaN/sapphire LEDs applications. http://www.electrochem.org/meetings/scheduler/abstracts/214/2252.pdf. Accessed on 09 July 2010.
- ITRS (2009) International technology roadmap for semiconductors – Modeling and simulation. http://public.itrs.net/Links/2009ITRS/2009Chapters_2009Tables/2009_Modeling.pdf. Accessed on 06 July 2010.
- ITRS (2009a) International technology roadmap for semiconductors – Design. http://www.itrs.net/Links/2009ITRS/2009Chapters_2009Tables/2009_Design.pdf Accessed 06 July 2010.
- ITRS (2009b) International technology roadmap for semiconductors – Factory integration. http://public.itrs.net/Links/2009ITRS/2009Chapters_2009Tables/2009_Factory.pdf. Accessed on 06 July 2010.
- Johnson RN (2009) Thermally conductive EMI shield. US patent 7,608,326.Google Scholar
- Khan Z (2008) New materials and techniques tackle PCB thermal management. http://rtcmagazine.com/magazine/articles/view/100944/pg: 1 Accessed on 03 July 2010.
- Lunaraccents (2001) LED thermal management. http://www.lunaraccents.com/educational-LED-thermal-management.html. Accessed on 09 July 2010.
- Luxeon (2006) Thermal design using LUXEON power light sources App Brief AB05 (6/06). http://www.philipslumileds.com/pdfs/AB05.pdf Accessed on 04 July 2010.
- Matic P (2003) Overview of multifunctional materials. In Smart Structures and Materials 2003: Active Materials: Behaviors and Mechanics, D.C. Lagoudas, ed. Proceedings of SPIE Volume 5053, pp. 61–69.Google Scholar
- Momoda LA (2005) The future of engineering materials: Multifunction for performance-tailored structures. http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11220&page=47 Accessed on 05 July 2010.
- Najarian M, Garnett E (2006) Thermoelectrics and photovoltaics: Integration challenges and benefits. http://kammen.berkeley.edu/C226/5r.pdf Accessed on 06 July 2010.
- Optek (2006) Thermal management of visible LEDs. http://www.optekinc.com/pdf/App%20Bulletin%20228.pdf. Accessed on 12 July 2010.
- Pan Y-F (2002) Integrated thermal design and optimization study for active integrated power electronic modules (IPEMs). Master thesis. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg.Google Scholar
- Pesaran AA (2001) Battery thermal management in EVs and HEVs issues and solutions. Advanced Automotive Battery Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, Feb. 6–8, 2001.Google Scholar
- Pesaran AA, Burch S, Keyser M (1999) An approach for designing thermal management systems for electric and hybrid vehicle battery packs. Fourth Vehicle Thermal Management Systems Conference and Exhibition, London, UK, May 24–27, 1999.Google Scholar
- Quarshie R (2005) Smart materials and related structures. http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file18875.pdf. Accessed on 06 July 2010.
- Saffa R (2007) Thermal management considerations for visible LEDs in general illumination and signage applications. http://www.ledjournal.com/images/Archived%20Articles/ Thermal%20Management%20Considerations%20for%20Visible%20LEDs%20in%20General%20Illumination%20and%20Signage%20Applications.pdf. Accessed on 08 July 2010.
- Saums D et al (2005) Implementation of diamond pins as thermal vias for high heat flux spreading in CTE-compatible lids and baseplates for semiconductor packaging. IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop on Thermal Management 2005. http://www.sp3inc.com/pdf/dia_pins.pdf. Accessed on 01 July 2010.
- Satoh Y (1986) Challenge to the Quality Revolution. NEC Corporation, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Standford (2000) NLC general cost estimate guidance. http://www-project.slac.stanford.edu/lc/local/notes/dr/cost-contin.pdf. Accessed on 05 July 2010.
- Tong XC (2009) Advanced Materials and Design for Electromagnetic Shielding. CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA.Google Scholar
- Tsao JY (2002) Light emitting diodes (LEDs) for general illumination. http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/ssl/report_led_november_2002a_1.pdf. Accessed on 12 July 2010.
- Viswanath R, Wakharkar V, Watwe A, Lebonheur V (2000) Thermal performance challenges from silicon to systems. Intel Technologies Journal Q3: 2000. http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/q32000/pdf/thermal_perf.pdf. Accessed on 03 June 2010.
- Wang DG, Knighten JL, Muller PK (2002) An integrated vent, heatsink and EMI shield. IEEE 18th Annual Symposium on Semiconductor Thermal Measurement and Management, 12–14 March, 2002, pp. 125–131.Google Scholar
- Welwyn (2010) The use of Anotherm in power LED lighting applications. http://www.hg-electronics.de/produktpartner/tt-electronics/downloads/Anotherm_HLfLLED.pdf. Accessed on 12 July 2010.
- Young R et al (2006) Developments and trends in thermal management technologies – A mission to the USA. http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/iemrc/documents/.../CB2007.pdf. Accessed on 26 February 2010.