Self-Direction Indicators for Evaluating the Design-Based Elearning Course with Social Software
This paper discusses the development of self-direction indicators for evaluating the e-learning course using students‘ self reflections with social software. Fifty five students of the international Design-based eLearning course wrote in blogs weekly self-reflections during 14 study weeks. Data were qualitatively categorized using the classification scheme of self-direction indicators. Linear Regression demonstrated the dependence of some self-direction indicators on the study weeks. Bayesian dependency modeling revealed the significant causal interrelations of the self-direction indicators, representing a system in which various types of mediators (social software tools, self-direction as a tool, and group-work as a tool) were used as possible paths for reaching individual and group goals.
KeywordsSelf-direction Self-reflection Design-based learning
This study was partly funded by the iCamp project (027168) under the 6th framework programme of the EU, ESF grant 7663 and MER targeted research 0130159s08.
- Attwell, G. (2007). Personal learning environments – the future of eLearning? eLearning Papers, 2. Retrieved from http://www.elearningpapers.eu/index.php?page=doc&doc_id=8553&doclng=6. Accessed on March 10, 2009.
- Brockett, R. G., & Hiemstra, R. (1991). Self-direction in adult learning. Perspectives on theory, research and practice. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Engeström, Y. (1987). Learning by expanding: An activity-theoretical approach to developmental research. Helsinki: Orienta-Konsultit.Google Scholar
- Fiedler, S., & Pata, K. (2009). Distributed learning environments and social software: In search for a framework of design. S. Hatzipanagos and S. Warburton (Eds.), Handbook of research on social software and developing. Community Ontologies (pp. 145–158). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.Google Scholar
- Gillespie, A. (2007). Social basis of self-reflection. In V. Jaan & R. Alberto (Eds.), Cambridge handbook of sociocultural psychology (pp. 678–691). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Harri-Augstein, S., & Thomas, L. (1991). Learning conversations: The self-organised way to personal and organisational growth. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Kieslinger, B., & Pata, K. (2008). Am i alone? The competitive nature of self-reflective activities in groups and individually. Ed-Media 2008 Proceedings (pp. 6337–6342), Vienna, AACE.Google Scholar
- Knowles, M. (1975). Self-Directed learning. A guide for learners and teachers. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall/Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Merisalo, S. (2009). The development of self-direction in self-reflections in an elearning course. Master thesis, Tallinn University. Retrieved from http://www.cs.tlu.ee/instituut/opilaste_tood/magistri_tood/2009_kevad/sonja_merisalo_magistritoo.pdf. Accessed on July 10, 2009.
- Ning, H., Williams, J. R., Slocum, A. H., & Sanchez, A. (2004). InkBoard – Tablet PC enabled design-oriented learning. Proceeding (428) Computers and Advanced Technology in Education. Retrieved from http://www.actapress.com/Abstract.aspx?paperId=17075. Accessed on March 10, 2009
- Pata, K. (2009). Modeling spaces for self-directed learning at university courses. Journal of Educational Technology and Society, 12, 23–43.Google Scholar
- Pata, K., & Väljataga, T. (2007). Collaborating across national and institutional boundaries in higher education – the decentralized iCamp approach. In C. Montgomerie, J. Seale (Eds.), Proceedings of Ed-Media 2007, World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (pp. 353–362).Vancouver, Canada: 24–29 June, 2007. VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)Google Scholar
- Smith, P., & Ragan, T. J. (1999). Instructional design (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Underwood, J., & Banyard, P. E. (2008). Understanding the learning space. eLearning papers, 9. Retrieved from http://www.elearningpapers.eu/index.php?page=doc&doc_id=11937&doclng=6. Accessed on March 10, 2009.
- Wijnen, W. H. F. W. (2000). Towards design-based learning. Retrieved from http://w3.tue.nl/fileadmin/stu/stu_oo/doc/OGO_brochure_1_EN.pdf. Accessed on March 10, 2009.