CFD Analysis Applications in BWR Reactor System Design
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis has been used to evaluate phenomena related to the flow since the late twentieth century. Here, through some examples of its applications, the roles of CFD analysis in the actual design process are shown. The first example is an application to the design improvement for flow stabilization at a cross branch pipe in the recirculation loop of the jet pump-type BWR. The second example is an application to evaluations of the ABWR lower plenum flow characteristics and FIV stresses. The third example is an application to the development of a thicker reactor internal pump nozzle for seismic performance improvement. All of these applications were confirmed by tests before being applied to the design of actual reactor structures.
KeywordsComputational Fluid Dynamic Nozzle Diameter Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis Pitot Tube Branch Pipe
This chapter used papers originally published by JSME and ASME. The authors express many thanks to JSME and ASME for their permission to reproduce some of the figures and tables included here.
- 1.Ohki A, Miura S, Yoshimoto Y et al (1990) Unstable Flow Phenomena through a Pipe System with Cross Branch Pipe (Investigation of Flow Stabilizing Structure for Unstable Discharge Phenomena). JSME Intl J 33(4):680Google Scholar
- 2.Miura S, Yoshinaga Y et al (1987) Unstable phenomenon in flow through a pipe system with a cross pipe (1st report, Generation of flow instability and its condition). Trans JSME 53(485, B):35, in JapaneseGoogle Scholar
- 3.Miura S, Yoshinaga Y et al (1988) Unstable phenomenon in flow through a pipe system with a cross pipe (2nd report, The influence of the branching discharge ratio and structural factor of a pipe upon the unstable discharge phenomenon). Trans JSME 54(503, B):1607, in JapaneseGoogle Scholar
- 4.Takahashi S et al (2000) Influence of nozzle diameter on reactor internal pump performance in reactor pressure vessel, ICONE-8102Google Scholar
- 5.Takahashi S et al (2003) Evaluation of flow characteristics in the lower plenum of the ABWR by using CFD analysis, ICONE11-36393Google Scholar
- 6.Takahashi S et al (2001) Full scale test results as part of the development of a large diameter nozzle with thicker sleeve for the ABWR internal pump, ICONE-9- No. 680Google Scholar