XtreemOS: a Sound Foundation for Cloud Infrastructure and Federations
XtreemOS is a Linux-based operating system with native support for virtual organizations (VO’s), for building large-scale resource federations. XtreemOS has been designed as a grid operating system, supporting the model of resource sharing among independent administrative domains. We argue, however, that the VO concept can be used to establish either resource sharing or resource isolation, or even both at the same time. We outline XtreemOS’ fundamental properties and how its native VO support can be used to implement cloud infrastructure and cloud federations.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Virtual Node Virtual Organization Cloud Infrastructure Mobile IPv6
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Coppola, Y. Jégou, B. Matthews, Ch. Monn, L.P. Pneto, O.D. Sanchez, E.Y. Yang, H. Yu:Virtual Organization Support within a Grid-Wide Operating System. IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 12, No. 2,2008Google Scholar
- 2.F. Hupfeld, T. Cortes, B. Kolbeck, J. Stender, E. Focht, M. Hess, J. Malo, J. Marti, F. Cesario:The XIreemFS Architecture—a Case for Object-based File Systems in Grids. Concurrency and computation: Practice and experience, Vol. 20, No. 17, 2008.Google Scholar
- 3.Ch. Morin, Y. Jégou, J. Gallard, P. Riteau: Clouds: a new Playgmund for the XtreemOS Grid Openting System. Parallel Processing Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 2009.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Schutt, E Schintke, A. Reinefeld: Scalaris: Reliable Transactional P2P Key/Value StoreWeb 2.0 Hosting with Erlang and Java. 7th ACM SIGPLAN Erlang Workshop, Victoria, September 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.Ch. Smith, T. Kielinann, S. Newhouse, M. Humphrey: The HPC Basic Profile and SAGA:Standardizing Compute Grid Access in the Open Grid Forum. Concurrency and Computation:Pmctice and Experience, Vol. 21, No.8,2009.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Szymaniak, G. Pierre, M. Simons-Nikolova, M. van Steen: Enabling Service Adaptability with Versatile Anycast. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Vol. 19, No. 13, 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.XtreemOS: www.xtreemos.euGoogle Scholar