Robot-Assisted Procedures with MRI Guidance
Real-time image guidance will eventually facilitate a paradigm shift from the traditional endoscopic visualization to one that uses a volumetric and information-rich perception of the area-of-operation, thereby enabling a wider range and level of complexity in minimally invasive surgeries. This chapter will review the use of robotic systems guided by MRI in facilitating image guided robotic-guided interventions.
KeywordsImage-guided surgery Intracardiac procedures Magnetic resonance imaging Minimally invasive surgery Robotics 3-Dimensional imaging
This work was supported in part by the National Science Foundation grant CPS-0932272. All opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this work are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of our sponsors.
- 4.Sonmez ΑΕ, Gui D, Menias CO, Ozcan Α, Tsekos NV (2010) Oblique multislice dynamic magnetic resonance imaging of an area of interest. Radiology, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 6.Li M, Mazilu D, Horvath KA (2008) Robotic system for transapical aortic valve replacement with MRI guidance. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 11:476–484Google Scholar
- 8.Rickers C, Gallegos R, Seethamraju RT, Wang X, Swingen C, Jayaswal A, Rahrmann EP, Kastenberg ZJ, Clarkson CE, Bianco R, O’Brian T, Verfaillie C, Bolman RM III, Wilke N, Jerosch-Herold M (2004) Applications of magnetic resonance imaging for cardiac stem cell therapy. J Interv Cardiol 17:37–46CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Linte CA, Wierzbicki M, Moore J, Guiraudon G, Jones DL, Peters TM (2007) On enhancing planning and navigation of beating-heart mitral valve surgery using pre-operative cardiac models. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:475–478Google Scholar
- 13.Linte CA, Wierzbicki M, Moore J, Little SH, Guiraudon GM, Peters TM (2007) Towards subject-specific models of the dynamic heart for image-guided mitral valve surgery. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 10:94–101Google Scholar
- 14.Mebarki R, Krupa A, Collewet C (2008) Automatic guidance of an ultrasound probe by visual servoing based on B-mode image moments. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 11:339–346Google Scholar
- 15.Yuen SG, Kesner SB, Vasilyev NV, Del Nido PJ, Howe RD (2008) 3D ultrasound-guided motion compensation system for beating heart mitral valve repair. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 11:711–719Google Scholar
- 18.Zhou Y, Tsiamyrtzis P, Pavlidis I (2009) Tissue tracking in thermo-physiological imagery through spatio-temporal smoothing. MICCAI. Springer, Berlin, pp 1092–1099Google Scholar
- 20.Pfleiderer SO, Marx C, Vagner J, Franke RP, Reichenbach JR, Kaiser WA (2005) Magnetic resonance-guided large-core breast biopsy inside a 1.5-T magnetic resonance scanner using an automatic system: in vitro experiments and preliminary clinical experience in four patients. Invest Radiol 40:458–463CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Navkar N, Tsekos NV, Stafford J, Weinberg J, Deng Ζ (2010) Visualization and planning of neurosurgical interventions with straight access. International conference on information processing in computer-assisted intervention (IPCAI), Geneva, Switzerland June 23, 2010Google Scholar