An Intelligent Web-Based Healthcare System: The Case of DYMOS
Today’s information age is accelerating at quantum speed. Advances, such as the Internet and high-speed networks, have propelled the never-ending quest for information. In this regard, eHealth services is a continuously growing sector, driving the need for advances in the dynamic working environment of different medical actors promoting the effective collaboration within the given contextual and technological constraints. Henceforth, this chapter defines and classifies the various virtual communities in the eHealth sector, analyses existing related approaches and identifies current problems, stressing emphasis on the notion of workflow management within the multi/cross-organizational environment. It further proposes an eHealth system, DYMOS, which has been based on a suggested extended collaboration model, with features that tend to tackle the identified weaknesses. Finally, it presents a positive evaluation of the system’s efficiency and effectiveness with the implementation of an experimentation phase which has used trials in a real hospital environment.
KeywordsMobile Device Healthcare Professional Virtual Team Cardiac Problem eHealth Service
- 1.Georgiadis TD. Dynamic creation of collaborating system and database management, using mobile agents, M.Sc. Thesis, Computer Science Department, University of Cyprus, June 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.Pitsillides A, Samaras G, Pitsillides B, Georgiades D, Andreou P, Christodoulou E. Virtual collaborative healthcare teams for home healthcare. Special issue on Advanced Mobile Technologies for Health Care Applications. J Mobile Multimedia 2006;2(1):023–036.Google Scholar
- 3.Pitoura E, Samaras G. Data Management for Mobile Computing. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 0-7923-8053-3.Google Scholar
- 4.C-CARE Project: Continuous Care, IST-1999-10217, Website: http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?ACTION=D&CALLER=PROJ_IST&RCN=55034.
- 5.HEALTHMATE Project: Personal intelligent health mobile systems for Telecare and Tele-consultation, IST-2000-26154, Website: http://www.healthmate-project.org.
- 6.HUMAN Project, IST-2001-33483, Website: http://www.human-project.ws/.
- 7.COCOON Project: Building knowledge driven and dynamically adaptive networked communities within European healthcare systems, IST FP6- 507126, Website: http://swa.cefriel.it/COCOON.
- 8.NOESIS Project: Platform for wide scale integration and visual representation of medical intelligence, IST FP6-507960, Website: http://www.noesis-eu.org/.
- 9.PIPS Project, IST FP6-507019, Website: http://126.96.36.199/.
- 10.CHS Project: Citizen Health System, IST-1999-13352, Website: http://lomiweb.med.auth.gr/index.php?q=en/node/186.
- 11.ARTEMIS Project: A semantic Web service-based P2P infrastructure for the interoperability of medical Information systems, IST FP6-002103, Website: http://www.ist-world.org/ProjectDetails.aspx?ProjectId=647fbec760dc48d58f54f933d632b78b&SourceDatabaseId=7cff9226e582440894200b751bab883f.
- 12.MPOWER Project: Middleware platform for eMPOWERing cognitive disabled and elderly, IST FP6- 034707, Website: http://www.mpower-project.eu.
- 13.MobiHealth Project, IST-2001-36006, Website: http://www.mobihealth.org.
- 14.TOPCARE Project: A Telematics Home Care Platform for Cooperative Health Care Provision, IST-2000-25068, Website: http://www.topcare.info/.
- 15.AUBADE Project, IST-2002-507605, Website: http://www.aubade-group.com.
- 16.CLINICIP Project, 506965, Website: http://www.clinicip.org.
- 17.INTREPID Project: A Virtual Reality Intelligent Multi-sensor Wearable System for Phobias’ Treatment, IST-2002-507464, Website: http://www.ist-world.org/ProjectDetails.aspx?ProjectId=34901e26065047afb9aebd4e15794570&SourceDatabaseId=7cff9226e582440894200b751bab883f.
- 18.MyHeart (Fighting Cardio-Vascular Diseases by Preventing Lifestyle & Early Diagnosis), IST FP6-507816, Website: http://www.extra.research.philips.com/euprojects/myheart.
- 19.HealthService 24 Project, eTEN-517352, Website: http://www.healthservice24.com.
- 20.Mobi-Dev Project: mobile devices for healthcare applications, IST-2000-26402, Website: http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?ACTION=D&CALLER=PROJ_IST&RCN=54810.
- 21.WIDENET Project: Offering World-Wide Services through an International Network on Health Records, IST-1999-14203, Website: http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?ACTION=D&CALLER=PROJ_IST&RCN=54336.
- 22.BIOPATTERN Project, IST-2002-508803, Website: http://www.biopattern.org.
- 23.DICOEMS Project: Emergency risk management e-health platform, IST FP6-507760, Website: http://www.dicoems.com/.
- 24.SemanticMining Project, IST-2002-507505, Website: http://www.semanticmining.org/.
- 25.IDEAS Project, Integrated Distributed Environment for Application Services in e-Health, IST-2001-34614, Website: http://www.ideas-ehealth.upv.es/.
- 26.HEARTFAID Project: A knowledge based platform of services for supporting medical-clinical management of hearth failure within elderly population, FP6-IST-2004-027107, Website: http://www.heartfaid.org.
- 27.Ioakim G. Dynamic wofkflows in wireless environment, M.Sc. Thesis, Computer Science Department, University of Cyprus, May 2007.Google Scholar