This chapter gives an overview of the current market of smart cameras and future demands. Most of the information is based on two market studies and a survey conducted among smart camera producers and distributors. The chapter is separated into five sections: Section 19.1 starts with a short review of recent developments in the vision and smart camera market. The following section discusses the smart camera types, develops a classification system, and provides typical examples of these models. An analysis of the vision market of today in general, as well as the smart camera market in particular, will be shown in Section 19.3. Typical fields of application will be described in Section 19.4. Finally, Section 19.5 discusses the demands of smart cameras used nowadays and special economic demands connected with business in these areas.
KeywordsEconomic Crisis Europe Transportation Marketing Cognex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank the following organizations for allowing us to reprint data from their detailed market studies.
• Automated Imaging Association (AIA) http://www.machinevisiononline.org Paul Kellett, Director Market Analysis
• European Machine Vision Association (EMVA) http://www.emva.org Patrick Schwarzkopf, General Secretary
• IMS Research http://www.imsresearch.com Niall Jenkins Market Research Analyst
Furthermore, the authors would like to thank the following companies and individuals for taking part in the survey (carried out at the trade fair Vision 2008, Stuttgart, Germany).
• Basler http://www.basler-vc.com Dipl.-Ing. Werner Borchert, Product Manager - Components
• Buxbaum http://www.myAutomation.at. Ing Dietmar Buxbaum, CEO
• Dalsa http://www.dalsa.com Steve Geraghty, Director of Operations
• Datasensor http://www.datasensor.com Michele Leoni, Product Manager – Inspection Thomas Bauer, Product Manager – Central Europe
• Matrix Vision http://www.matrix-vision.de Dipl. Ing. Uwe Furtner, General Manager Standard Products
• MaxxVision http://www.maxxvision.com Sayed Soliman, CEO
• Microscan http://www.microscan.com John Agapakis, Director – Business Development
• Sick AG – http://www.sick.com Dr. Mats Gökstorp, Management Board – Division Advanced Industrial Sensors
• Stemmer Imaging http://www.stemmer-imaging.de Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Peter Keppler, Vision Solutions Sales Manager Dipl.-Ing. Peter Stiefenhöfer, Marketing & Public Relations Manager
And last but not least, we would like to thank the following companies for sharing information by e-mail on the topic of smart cameras.
• BMW Group – http://www.bmw.de Katharina Bölsterl, Konzernkommunikation und Politik, Technologiekommunikation
• Vision Systems Design http://www.vision-systems.com Andrew Wilson, Editor