Robust Controller Synthesis is Convex for Systems without Control Channel Uncertainties
We consider an uncertain generalized plant whose control channel is not affected by uncertainties. It is shown that these configurations emerge in various concrete problems such as robust estimator or feed-forward controller design. Under the mere hypothesis that the (possibly non-linear) uncertainties are described by integral quadratic constraints, we reveal how one can translate robust controller synthesis to a problem of designing parametric and dynamic components in a standard plant configuration, and how this can be turned into a semi-definite program.
KeywordsTransfer Matrix Linear Matrix Inequality Convex Optimization Synthesis Problem Linear Matrix Inequality Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balakrishan, V., Vandenberghe, L.: Semidefinite programming duality and linear time-invariant systems. IEEE Trans. Aut. Contr. 48(1), 30−41 (2003)Google Scholar
- Ben-Tal, A., Nemirovski, A.: Lectures on Modern Convex Optimization: Analysis, Algorithms, and Engineering Applications, SIAM-MPS Series in Optimization. SIAM Publications, Philadelphia (2001)Google Scholar
- Desoer, C., Vidyasagar, M.: Feedback Systems: Input-Output Approach. Academic Press, London (1975)Google Scholar
- Dietz, S.: Analysis and control of uncertain systems by using robust semi-definite programming. Ph.D. thesis, Delft University of Technology (2008)Google Scholar
- Giousto, A., Paganini, F.: Robust synthesis of feedforward compensators. IEEE Trans. Aut. Contr. 44(8), 1578−1582 (1999)Google Scholar
- Kao, C.Y., Ravuri, M., Megretski, A.: Control synthesis with dynamic integral quadratic constraints – LMI approach. In: Proc. 39th IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, pp. 1477−1482. Sydney, Australia (2000)Google Scholar
- Köse, I.E., Scherer, C.W.: Robust L 2-gain feedforward control of uncertain systems using dynamic IQCs. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control p. 24 (2009)Google Scholar
- Scherer, C.W.: Design of structured controllers with applications. In: Proc. 39th IEEE Conf. Decision and Control. Sydney, Australia (2000)Google Scholar
- Veenman, J., Köroğlu, H., Scherer, C.W.: An IQC approach to robust estimation against perturbations of smoothly time-varying parameters. In: Proc. 47th IEEE Conf. Decision and Control. Cancun, Mexico (2008)Google Scholar