Topological Analysis of DNA-Protein Complexes
A tangle consists of strings properly embedded in a 3-dimensional ball. Tangles have been used to model protein-bound DNA. The protein is represented by the 3D ball and the protein-bound DNA is represented by the strings embedded in the 3D ball. We review tangle analysis of protein-DNA complexes involving three or four segments of DNA.
KeywordsSite-specific recombination difference topology tangle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.D. Bates and A. Maxwell. DNA Topology. IRL Press, Oxford, 1993.Google Scholar
- W.R. Bauer, F.H.C. Crick, and J.H. White. Supercoiled DNA. Scientific American, 243: 118–133, 1980.Google Scholar
- J.H. Conway. An enumeration of knots and links and some of their related properties. Computational Problems in Abstract Algebra (John Leech, ed.) Pergamon Press, Oxford and New York, 1969.Google Scholar
- I.K. Darcy, A. Bhutra, J. Chang, N. Druivenga, C. McKinney, R.K. Medikonduri, S. Mills, J. Navarra Madsen, A. Ponnusamy, J. Sweet, and T. Thompson. Coloring the Mutranspososome. BMC Bioinformatics, 7(435), 2006.Google Scholar
- I.K. Darcy, J. Luecke, and M. Vazquez. Tangle analysis of difference topology experiments: Applications to a Mu protein-DNA complex. Preprint.Google Scholar
- F.B. Dean, A. Stasiak, T. Koller, and N.R. Cozzarelli. Duplex DNA knots produced by Escherichia Coli topoisomerase I. I. Biol. Chem., 260: 4795–4983, 1985.Google Scholar
- M. Jayaram and R. Harshey. Difference topology: Analysis of high-order DNA-protein assemblies. Included in this volume, Mathematics of DNA Structure, Function, and Interactions edited by Craig John Benham, Stephen Harvey, Wilma K. Olson, De Witt L. Sumners, and David Swigon,Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, New York, 2009. Preprint.Google Scholar
- S. Kim and I.K. Darcy. A 4-string tangle analysis of DNA-protein complexes based on difference topology. Preprint.Google Scholar
- D.W. Sumners, C. Ernst, N.R. Cozzarelli, and S.J. Spengler Mathematical analysis of the mechanisms of DNA recombination using tangles, Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics 28, 1995.Google Scholar