As an IT professional, when you advance in your career you might find yourself handling modules of software projects instead of the software components that you handled at the beginning of your career. The next logical career step may be to become a team leader, where you may find yourself talking directly to senior managers and clients. Now you may need a formal plan and a schedule for your activities; simply keeping them in your head may not help any longer. You will also need good people- and client-handling skills. And of course managing stress will be even more important for you now. These all are logical acts that you may have to go through in your journey to take the next step — becoming a project manager.
KeywordsIntellectual Property Project Management Project Team Emotional Intelligence Soft Skill
- PMI. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, 4th ed. Newtown Square, PA: Project Management Institute, 2010.Google Scholar
- Cherniss, Cary, Michel Adler, Kim Cowan, Robert Emmerling, and Daniel Goleman. “Bringing Emotional Intelligence to the Workplace: A Technical Report Issued by the Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations,” http://www.eiconsortium.org/reports/technical_report.html.
- AllBusiness, Management articles, http://www.allbusiness.com.
- Wikipedia, “Comparison of Project Management Software,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_project_management_software.
- Garmahis, Michael, “Top 20 Project Management Tools,” http://garmahis.com/reviews/top-project-management-tools/, July 2, 2009.
- Serena Software Inc., “Openproj,” http://openproj.org/openproj.
- Wikipedia, “Comparison of Project Management Software,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_project_management_software.
- Wikipedia, “Redmine,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redmine.
- Lijoi, Gina, “Effective Project Communications,” http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/effective-project-communications.html.
- Cusolito, Rick, “Common Challenges Project Managers Face and Tips for Solving Them,” http://www.butrain.com/project-management-training-courses/project-manager.asp.
- Freedman, Joshua and Todd Everett, “EQ at the Heart of Performance,” http://www.leabrovedani.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Business-Case-for-Emotional-Intelligence.pdf.
- Wikipedia, “Project Management Office,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_management_office.