- 919 Downloads
Health care reform makes drastic changes to the insurance industry’s marketplace. Among other things, it changes the way insurance is sold, it sets requirements for what policies must cover, it mandates that everybody be offered coverage, and it attempts to cap administrative costs, profits, and overhead. In short, it closes some opportunities and opens others, particularly with the influx of an estimated 16 million new customers.
KeywordsHerpes Zoster Congenital Hypothyroidism Health Care Reform Insurance Industry Community Rating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AHIP.org. “AHIP Statement on Health Care Reform Legislation.” America’s Health Insurance Plans. http://www.ahip.org/content/pressrelease.aspx?docid=29767, 2010.
- CMS/Office of Legislation. Medicare “Accountable Care Organizations” Shared Savings Program—New Section 1899 of Title XVIII. Washington, DC: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, 2011.Google Scholar
- CNN.com. “Health Care Coverage: Big Changes in 2012.” http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/10/news/economy/health_insurance_changes_by_employers/index.htm, March 10, 2011.
- Devers, Kelly and Robert Berenson. Can Accountable Care Organizations Improve the Value of Health Care by Solving the Cost and Quality Quandaries? Washington, DC: The Urban Institute, 2009.Google Scholar
- Girion, Lisa. “Blue Cross Praised Employees Who Dropped Sick Policyholders, Lawmaker Says.” Los Angeles Times, June 17, 2009.Google Scholar
- Inglehart, John K. “Assessing an ACO Prototype—Medicare’s Physician Group Practice Demonstration.” New England Journal of Medicine, Dec. 22, 2010. (10.1066/NEJMp 1013896).Google Scholar
- Jost, Timothy Stoltzfus. “Writing New Rules for Insurers—Progress on the Medical Loss Ratio.” New England Journal of Medicine, October 27, 2010. (10.1056/NEJMp1011717)Google Scholar
- Reinhardt, Uwe E. “How Much Money Do Insurance Companies Make? A Primer.” New York Times. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/25/how-much-money-do-insurance-companies-make-a-primer/, September 25, 2009.
- -. “Is’ Community Rating’ in Health Insurance Fair?” New York Times. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/is-community-rating-in-health-insurance-fair/, January 1, 2010.
- -. “On Health Care, the Devil’s in the Details.” New York Times. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/on-health-care-the-devils-in-the-details/, September 3, 2010.
- -. “What Portion of Premiums Should Insurers Pay Our in Benefits?” New York Times. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/what-portion-of-premiums-should-insurers-pay-out-in-benefits/, October 2, 2009.
- Stanton, M.W. “The High Concentration of U.S. Health Care Expenditures.” Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.ahrq.gov/research/ria19/expendria.htm, 2006.