Extrahepatic Bile Duct Carcinoma: Role of the p53 Protein Family
- 1.6k Downloads
Bile duct carcinomas (cholangiocarci-noma) are devastating tumors. Surgical resection is the mainstay of current treatment; however, it is only effective for a limited number of patients diagnosed at early stages of the disease. Unfortunately, the vast majority of patients seek treatment of the advanced disease making them poor candidates for curative surgery. Conventional chemotherapy and radiation therapy have not been shown to be effective in prolonging long-term survival of patients with cholangiocarcinoma. In addition, there are no sensitive and specific tests to diagnose and exclude this disease in high-risk populations. Thus, there is an urgent need for novel biomarkers and therapies based on a better understanding of biliary tumorigenesis that would significantly impact the disease outcome. This chapter reviews current clinical data on the p53 protein family and its role in biliary tumorigenesis.
KeywordsBile Duct Choledochal Cyst Extrahepatic Bile Duct Biliary Tract Cancer Bile Duct Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albores-Saavedra, J., Henson, D.E., and Klimstra, D.S. 2000. Tumors of the Gall bladder, Extrahepatic Bile Ducts and Ampulla of Vater. Atlas of Tumor Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Argani, P., Shaukat, A., Kaushal, M., Wilentz, R.E., Su, G.H., Sohn, T.A., Yeo, C.J., Cameron, J.L., Kern, S.E., and Hruban, R.H. 2001. Differing rates of loss of DPC4 expression and of p53 overexpression among carcinomas of the proximal and distal bile ducts. Cancer 91: 1332–1341.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Concin, N., Becker, K., Slade, N., Erster, S., Mueller-Holzner, E., Ulmer, H., Daxenbichler, G., Zeimet, A., Zeillinger, R., Marth, C., and Moll, U.M. 2004. Transdominant DeltaTAp73 isoforms are frequently up-regulated in ovarian cancer. Evidence for their role as epigenetic p53 inhibitors in vivo. Cancer Res. 64: 2449–2460.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hong, S.M., Kim, M.J., Pi, D.Y., Jo, D., Cho, H.J., Yu, E., and Ro, J.Y. 2005. Analysis of extrahe-patic bile duct carcinomas according to the New American Joint Committee on Cancer staging system focused on tumor classification problems in 222 patients. Cancer 104: 802–810.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nagakawa, T., Kayahara, M., Ikeda, S., Futakawa, S., Kakita, A., Kawarada, H., Matsuno, M., Takada, T., Takasaki, K., Tanimura, H., Tashiro, S., and Yamaoka, Y. 2002. Biliary tract cancer treatment: results from the Biliary Tract Cancer Statistics Registry in Japan. J. HepatoBiliary-Pancreat. Surg. 9: 569–575.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar