Cholangiocarcinoma: Intraductal Sonography
- 1.6k Downloads
The recent development of magnetic reso nance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) and multiple-detector-row computed tom ography (MD-CT) facilitate diagnosis of the obstruction site in patients with cholan-giocarcinoma. However, the extension of cholangiocarcinoma is still difficult to diag nose precisely. The correct diagnosis of cancer extension, especially invasion to the portal vein and pancreas, is necessary to decide the operative procedures for a complete resection. Intraductal ultrasonog-raphy (IDUS) has been reported by several authors, (Kuroiwa et al., 1998; Fujita et al., 1998; and Tamada et al., 2001a), as a reliable method for the evaluation of extra-hepatic cholangiocarcinoma and aiding in its accurate staging. We, Kanemaki et al. (1997) and Inui et al. (1998), reported on the usefulness of three-dimensional intraductal ultrasonography (3D-IDUS) as a compre hensive image display, and the instruments and processor systems of 3D-IDUS have been developed. In this chapter, we introduce the methodology of IDUS and 3D-IDUS for the diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma.
KeywordsBile Duct Portal Vein Common Bile Duct Stone Biliary Stricture Bile Duct Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fujita, N., Noda, Y., Yokohata, K., Tanaka, M., Maguchi, H., Komatsu, Y., Omata, M., Inui, K., Nakazawa, S., Mukai, H., Yasuda, K. 2000. Newly developed ultrasonic probe with ropeway system for transpapillary Intraductal ultrasonog-raphy of the bilio-pancreatic ductal system. Dig. Endosc. 12:250–254.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tamada, K., Ueno, N., Tomiyama, T., Oohashi, A., Wada, S., Nishizono, T., Tano, S., Aizawa, T., Ido, K., and Kimura, K. 1998. Characterization of biliary structures using intraductal Ultrasonography: comparison with percutaneous cholangioscopic biopsy. Gastrointest. Endosc. 47:341–349.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tamada, K., Inui, K., Menzel, J. 2001a. Intraductal ultrasonography of the bile duct system. Endoscopy 33:878–885.Google Scholar
- Tamada, K., Nagai, H., Yasuda, Y., Tomiyama, T., Ohashi. A., Wada, S., Kanai, N., Satoh, Y., Ido, K., Sugano, K. 2001b. Transpapillary intraductal ultrasonography prior to biliary drainage in the assessment of longitudinal spread of extrahe-patic bile duct carcinoma. Gastrointest. Endosc. 53:300–307.Google Scholar
- Wada, S., Tamada, K., Tomiyama, T., Ohashi, A., Utsunomiya, K., Higashisawa, T., Satoh, Y., Miyata, T., Sugano, K. 2000. Endoscopic micro wave coagulation therapy for bile duct cancer with intraductal ultrasonographic monitoring: brief case report. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 95:1104–1105.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar