MARTE vs. AADL for Discrete-Event and Discrete-Time Domains
Real-time embedded applications tend to combine periodic and aperiodic computations. Modeling standards must then support both discrete-time and discrete-event models of computation and communication whereas they historically pertain to two different communities: asynchronous and synchronous designers. In this article, two emerging standards of the domain (MARTE and AADL) are compared and their ability to tackle this issue is assessed. We plead for combining both standards and show how MARTE can be extended to integrate AADL features required for end-to-end flow latency analysis.
KeywordsUML Marte AADL MoCC Time requirement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. André and F. Mallet. Clock constraints in UML MARTE CCSL. Research Report 6540, INRIA, May 2008. https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00280941.
- 2.C. André, F. Mallet, and R. de Simone. Modeling time(s). In MoDELS’07, LNCS 4735, pages 559–573. Springer, Berlin, 2007. Google Scholar
- 5.M. Faugère, T. Bourbeau, R. de Simone, and S. Gérard. Marte: Also a UML profile for modeling AADL applications. In ICECCS, pages 359–364. IEEE Comput. Soc., Los Alamitos, 2007. Google Scholar
- 6.P.H. Feiler and J. Hansson. Flow latency analysis with the architecture analysis and design language. Technical Report CMU/SEI-2007-TN-010, CMU, June 2007. Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE Standards Association. IEEE Standard for Verilog Hardware Description Language. IEEE Std 1364TM-2005, Design Automation Standards Committee, 2005. Google Scholar
- 9.S.-Y. Lee, F. Mallet, and R. de Simone. Dealing with AADL end-to-end flow latency with UML Marte. In ICECCS, pages 228–233. IEEE Comput. Soc., Los Alamitos, 2008. Google Scholar
- 11.F. Mallet, C. André, and R. de Simone. CCSL: specifying clock constraints with UML Marte. ISSE, 4(3):309–314, 2008. Google Scholar
- 12.SAE. Architecture analysis and design language (AADL). AS5506/1, 2006. http://www.sae.org.
- 13.F. Singhoff and A. Plantec. AADL modeling and analysis of hierarchical schedulers. In A. Srivastava and L.C. Baird III, editors, SIGAda, pages 41–50. Assoc. Comput. Mach., New York, 2007. Google Scholar
- 14.The ProMARTE Consortium. UML profile for MARTE, beta 2. OMG document number: ptc/08-06-08, Object Management Group, 2008. Google Scholar
- 15.T. Weilkiens. Systems Engineering with SysML/UML: Modeling, Analysis, Design. The MK/OMG Press, Burlington, 2008. Google Scholar