Cultivation of the green alga, Codium fragile (Suringar) Hariot, by artificial seed production in Korea
Codium fragile (Suringar) Hariot is an edible green alga farmed in Korea using seed stock produced from regeneration of isolated utricles and medullary filaments. Experiments were conducted to reveal the optimal conditions for nursery culture and out-growing of C. fragile. Sampling and measurement of underwater irradiance were carried out at farms cultivating C. fragile at Wando, on the southwestern coast of Korea, from October 2004 to August 2005. Growth of erect thalli and underwater irradiance were measured over a range of depths for three culture stages. During the nursery cultivation stage (Stage I), growth rate was greatest at 0.5 m depth (0.055 ± 0.032 mm day−1), where the average midday irradiance over 60 days was 924 ± 32 μmol photons m−2 s−1. During the pre-main cultivation stage (Stage II), the greatest growth rate occurred at a depth of 2 m (0.113 ± 0.003 mm day−1) with an average irradiance of 248 ± 116 μmol photons m−2 s−1. For the main cultivation stage (Stage III) of the alga, thalli achieved the greatest increase in biomass at 1 m depth (7.2 ± 1.0 kg fresh wt m−1). These results suggest that optimal growth at each cultivation stages of C. fragile could be controlled by depth of cultivation rope.
KeywordsArtificial seed production Cultivation Codium fragile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abbott IA (1988) Food and food products from seaweeds. In: Lembi CA, Waaland JR (eds) Algae and human affairs. Cambridge Univ Press, New York, pp 135–147Google Scholar
- Arasaki S, Tokuda H, Fujiyama K (1956) The reproduction and morphogeny in Codium fragile. Bot Mag Tokyo 69:39–44Google Scholar
- Borden CA, Stein JR (1969) Reproduction and early development in Codium fragile (Suringar) Hariot: Chlorophyceae. Phycologia 8:91–99Google Scholar
- Hanisak MD (1979) Physiological ecology of Codium fragile subsp. tomentosoides. PhD Thesis, University of Rhode IslandGoogle Scholar
- Hwang EK, Baek JM, Park CS (2005a) Artificial seed production using the reproduction methods in Codium fragile (Chlorophyta). J Korean Fish Soc 38:164–171Google Scholar
- Hwang EK, Baek JM, Park CS (2005b) Artificial seed production and nursery culture conditions using regeneration of isolated utricles and medullary filaments of Codium fragile (Suringar) Hariot. J Korean Fish Soc 38:393–398Google Scholar
- Park CS, Sohn CH (1992) Effects of light and temperature on morphogenesis of Codium fragile (Suringar) Hariot in laboratory culture. Korean J Phycol 7:213–223Google Scholar
- Sohn CH (1998) The seaweed resources of Korea. In: Critchley AT, Ohno M (eds), Seaweed resources of the world. Jap Int Coop Agency, pp 15–33Google Scholar
- Sohn CH, Kain (Jones) JM (1989) Undaria, Laminaria and Enteromorpha cultivation in Korea. In: Kain (Jones) JM, Andrews JW, McGregor BJ (eds) Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop of COST 48 Subgroup 1. Port Erin, Isle of Man, British Isles, 1989Google Scholar
- Trowbridge CD (1998) Ecology of the green macroalga Codium fragile (Suringar) Hariot 1989: invasive and non-invasive subspecies. Annu Rev Oceanogr Mar Biol 36:1–64Google Scholar
- Yoshida T (1998) Marine algae of Japan. Uchida Rokakuho, TokyoGoogle Scholar