Mechanical Behavior of Nickel Base Foams for Diesel Particle Filter Applications
An original processing route by powder metallurgy was developped to alloy pure Ni foams so, that the foam becomes refractory for high temperature applications. The modelling of such a foam at high temperature starts from the behavior of the basic constitutive material, then we use micromechanical models to predict the mechanical properties under tension and in compression creep. A 3D finite element analysis of a volume analysed by X-ray tomography is performed to study the foam deformation mechanisms in both conditions.
KeywordsNickel Furnace Anisotropy Foam Diesel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. Paserin, S. Marcuson, J. Shu, D.S. Wilkinson: CVD Technique for Inco Nickel Foam Production, Advanced Engineering Materials 6 No. 6 (2004).Google Scholar
- 3.T. Dillard, F.N’Guyen, E. Maire, L. Salvo, S. Forest, Y. Bienvenu, J.D Bartout, M. Croset, R. Dendievel, P. Cloetens: 3D quantitative image analysis of open-cell nickel foams under tension and compression loading using X-ray microtomography, Philosophical Magazine 85 No. 19 (July 2005), 2147–2175.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.V. Goussery, Y. Bienvenu, S. Forest, A.F. Gourgues, C. Colin, J.D. Bartout: Grain Size Effects on the Mechanical Behavior of Open-cell Nickel Foams, Advanced Engineering Materials 6 No. 6 (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.X. Badiche, S. Forest, T. Guibert, Y. Bienvenu, J.D. Bartout, P. Ienny, M. Croset, H. Bernet: Mechanical properties and non-homogeneous deformation of open-cell nickel foams: application of the mechanics of cellular solids and of porous materials, Materials Science and Engineering A 289 (2000) 276–288.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.L.J. Gibson, M.F. Ashby: Cellular solids. Structure and properties — Second edition, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1997).Google Scholar
- 8.H.J. Frost, M.F Ashby: Deformation-Mechanism Maps: the Plasticity and Creep of Metals and Ceramics, Pergamon Press, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.D.T. Queheillalt, D.D. Hass, D.J. Sypeck, H.N.G Wadley: Synthesis of open-cell metal foams by templated directed vapor deposition, Journal of Materials Research, 16 No. 4 (2001).Google Scholar
- 10.P. Quadbeck, J. Kaschta, R.F. Singer: Superalloy IN625 with Cellular Microstructure — Fabrication Route and Mechanical Properties, Advanced Engineering Materials 6 No. 8 (2004).Google Scholar
- 14.H. Choe, D. Dunand: Mechanical properties of oxidation-resistant Ni-Cr foams, Materials Science and Engineering A 384 (2004) 184–193.Google Scholar