Numerical Approximation Techniques for Rate-Independent Inelasticity
Some recent advances in the numerical analysis of rate-independent material models are surveyed. A general concept of convergence of numerical approximations is discussed und the basis of Γ-convergence. It provides convergence of subsequences to true solutions under minimal regularity assumptions but gives no rates of convergence. Applications to elastoplasticity and damage are discussed.
Key wordsrate-independent systems energetic solutions time-incremental minimization problems Γ-convergence damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G. Bouchitté, A. Mielke, and T. Roubíček. A complete-damage problem at small strains. Z. Angew. Math. Phys. (ZAMP), 2007.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Han and B. D. Reddy. Plasticity (Mathematical Theory and Numerical Analysis), volume 9 of Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1999.Google Scholar
- 14.A. Mielke. Evolution in rate-independent systems (Ch. 6). In C. Dafermos and E. Feireisl (Eds.), Handbook of Differential Equations, Evolutionary Equations, vol. 2, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 461–559, 2005.Google Scholar
- 15.A. Mielke and F. Rindler. Reverse approximation of energetic solutions to rate-independent processes. Nonl. Diff. Eqns. Appl. (NoDEA), 2007.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Mielke and T. Roubíček. Numerical approaches to rate-independent processes and applications in inelasticity. M2AN Math. Model. Numer. Anal., 2006. Submitted. WIAS Preprint 1169.Google Scholar
- 18.A. Mielke and F. Theil. A mathematical model for rate-independent phase transformations with hysteresis. In H.-D. Alber, R. Balean, and R. Farwig (Eds.), Proceedings of the Workshop on “Models of Continuum Mechanics in Analysis and Engineering”, Aachen. Shaker-Verlag, pp. 117–129, 1999.Google Scholar
- 20.A. Mielke, L. Paoli, and A. Petrov. On the existence and approximation for a 3d model of thermally induced phase transformations in shape-memory alloys, 2008, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 22.A. Mielke, T. Roubíček, and J. Zeman. Complete damage in elastic and viscoelastic media and its energetics. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 2007. Submitted. WIAS preprint 1285.Google Scholar