Establishment of the International Ural Sturgeon Park to Secure Sturgeon Conservation and to Facilitate Sustainable Integrated Water Management
The only free-flowing river in the Caspian basin, the Ural River, is a unique ecosystem with a preserved natural hydrological regime and the last remaining in the Caspian basin unaltered sturgeon spawning habitats. To secure its further preservation the river basin ecosystem and human activities in the region must be managed in an integrated sustainable manner. Though there is now an international consensus on the need for an integrated approach to sustainable river basin management, there is no standard definition of the term “sustainable” or consensus on how to reach this state. Sustainable development of watersheds should consider three main components: economic, social and environmental, which can hardly be reached in real-life watershed management. Using sturgeon species as a natural indicator and an incentive for transboundary IWRM cooperation in the Ural river basin is suggested. To secure basin IWRM and sturgeon stock restoration the Ural River Sturgeon International Park should be established. The Ural River Basin Project, which aims at the creation of such a Park, is described in this paper. Activities towards successful integrated water management in the Ural Park will not only work towards sustainable watershed management, but also secure preservation and restoration of sturgeon. Local communities (Cossacks) involvement in sturgeon conservation and water management also resolves social and economic problems by restoration of the traditional life style.
KeywordsWatershed river basin integrated water resource management indicator species integrated environmental assessment community-based environmental protection Ural river Cossacks integrated modelling uchug sturgeon beluga
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anthony, A.J., Alsharhan, A.S., et al. 2003. Integrated water resources management is more a political than a technical challenge. In Developments in Water Science. ed., 9–23. Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- AzovBas. 2002. Proceedings. Azov Sea Basin Workshop Novocherkassk, Russia, Green Don.Google Scholar
- BBC. 2007. Russia’s Cossacks rise again. [on-line] BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.Uk/2/hi/europe/6937562.stm [cited 10 November 2007].
- Bolshov, A. 2000. Otcenka suchshestvuiushih nacionalniuh okhraniaemiuh territorij i ih statusa zaschity, osobenno transgranichniuh i migriruiuschih vidov. Kazakhstan. Biodiversity CRTC, Second Regional Caspian Workshop, Alma-aty, Caspian Environment Program.Google Scholar
- Borodin, N.A. 1901. Uralskie Kazaki i ih rybolovstva. St. Petersburg, Izdanie “Vestnik Kazachih Voisk”.Google Scholar
- Brockhaus, F.A. and Efron, I.A. 1898. Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary. St. Petersburg: Brockhaus & Efron Publishing House.Google Scholar
- CITES. 2003. Sturgeons of Romania and CITES. [on-line] Black Sea Sturgeon Management Action Group. 30/06/03. http://rosturgeons.danubedelta.org/ [cited May 1 2004].
- CITES. 2004. A brief history of sturgeons and CITES. [on-line] Steering Committee. Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. http://www.cites.org/eng/prog/Sturgeon/history.shtml [cited April 2004].
- Dal, V.I. 1961. Uralskij Kazak (1842). In Dal, V.I. Novels and essays. ed., Moscow: Pravda.Google Scholar
- EU. 2000. European Union Water Framework Directive. European Union.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2007. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2006. Rome: FAO Fisheries Department.Google Scholar
- Fohrer, N. 2005. Advances in sustainable river basin management. Ecological Modelling. 187. (1): 1.Google Scholar
- Hughes, R.M. and Oberdorff T. 1999. Applications of IBI concepts and metrics to waters outside the United States and Canada. In: Simon T.P. (Ed.) Assessing the sustainability and biological integrity of water resources using fish communities. London, CRC Press, pp. 79–96.Google Scholar
- Karpov, A.B. 1911. Uralci. Istoricheskij ocherk. Uralsk: Army Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Keyl, F. and Wolff, M. 2007. Environmental variability and fisheries: what can models do? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, doi: 10.1007/sl 1160-007-9075-5.Google Scholar
- Lagutov, V. 1995. Mekhanizm unichtozheniya riubniuh zapasov Yuga Rossii i puti ih spaseniya [The mechanism of extermination of fish stocks in South Russia and possibilities of their restoration]. Novocherkassk: Donskaia Rech.Google Scholar
- Lagutov, V. 1996. Imitacionnoe modelirovanie zhiznennogo tsikla osetroviuh v basseine reki Don. [Simulation of Sturgeon Life Cycle in the Don River Basin]. MSc Thesis, Department of Applied Mathematics, South Russia State Technical University, Novocherkassk.Google Scholar
- Lagutov, V. 1997. Simulation Model of Sturgeon Life Cycle as a Tool in Sustainable Water Management. MSc Thesis, Department of Environmental Sciences, Central European University, Budapest.Google Scholar
- Lagutov, V. 1999. New Environmental Policy. Sustainable development: from myth to reality. 13th Global Biodiversity Forum, San Jose, Costa Rica.Google Scholar
- Lagutov, V. 2003. Modelling of radionuclides washout with surface water runoffs from radioactive waste storage site. Luxemburg, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.Google Scholar
- Malecha, N.I. 2002. Slovar govorov uralskih (jaickih) kazakov. Orenburg: Orenburg Publishing.Google Scholar
- RAMSAR. 2002. Sustainable Management of Water Resources: The Need for a Holistic Ecosystem Approach Running out of Freshwater or Maintaining Freshwater through a Ecosystem Based Approach — An Easy Choice. 8th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties to the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971), Valencia, Spain, The Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.Google Scholar
- Running out of Freshwater or Maintaining Freshwater Through a Ecosystem Based Approach —An Easy Choice. 8th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties to the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971), Valencia, Spain, The Ramsar Convention on Wetlands, 2005.Google Scholar
- RF. 2007. ВОДНЫЙ КОДКС РОССИЙСКОН ФДЕРАДИИ. (Water Code of the Russian Federation). Legal Information Consortium ≪Kodeks≫ (In Russian). RK. 2002. National Action Plan for rehabilitation of the Caspian Sea environment for 2003–2012. Ministry of Environmental Protection, Republic of Kazakhstan.Google Scholar
- RK. 2002. National Action Plan for rehabilitation of the Caspian Sea environment for 2003–2012. Ministry of Environmental Protection, Republic of KazakhstanGoogle Scholar
- Russian State Duma. 1995. Committee on Ecology, Russian State Duma. Hearing on “Improvement of fishery policies in the Azov Sea Basin”. Report by Dr. V. Lagutov.Google Scholar
- Suter, I. and Glenn, W. 1999. Developing conceptual models for complex ecological risk assessments. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment. 5. (2): 375–396.Google Scholar
- TRAFFIC. 2003. Bleak outlook for world caviar trade: North America sturgeon, paddlefish stocks at risk. [on-line] 22 May 2003. http://www.traffic.org/news/press-releases/bleakoutlook.html [cited 2004 April 20].
- TRAFFIC. 2007. Stamp of approval for caviar. [on-line] TRAFFIC. http://www.traffic.org/home/2007/6/29/stamp-of-approval-for-caviar.html [cited 2007].
- UNECE. 2003. Transboundary Water Cooperation in the newly independent States (NIS). Moscow-Geneva United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.Google Scholar
- UNECE. 2006. Preliminary Assessment of the Status of Transboundary Rivers Discharging Into the Caspian Sea and Their Major Transboundary Tributaries. United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.Google Scholar
- UNECE. 2007. Transboundary Accidental Water Pollution, Liability and Compensation: Challenges and Opportunities, Budapest, Hungary, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.Google Scholar
- UNEP. 2004. Learning from Baia Mare. [on-line] The Environment Times. http://www.environmenttimes.net/article.cfm?pageID=112 [cited 10 December 2007].
- Uralbas. 2007. Proceedings. First Ural River International Workshop Orenburg, Russia.Google Scholar
- Von Harthausen, A. 1972. Studies on the Interior of Russia. Chicago/London: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- WWF. 2002a. WWF Factsheet: Sturgeon. The Materials of 12th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to CITES, Santiago, 3–15 November 2002.Google Scholar
- WWF. 2002b. Sturgeon 2020. Initiative for Providing Habitats for Sturgeons. Program despcription and schedule, Budapest, WWF.Google Scholar
- WWF. 2003. Global 200. Blueprint for a living planet. [on-line] World Wildlife Fund. http://www.panda.org/about_wwfwhere_we_work/ecoregions/global200/pages/regions/region159.htm [cited April 2004].