Component Based Face Recognition System
The goal of this research paper was to design and use a component based approach to face recognition and show that this technique gives us recognition rates of up to 92%. A novel graphical user interface was also developed as part of the research to showcase and control the process of face detection and component extraction and to display the recognition results.The paper essentially consists of two parts, face detection and face recognition. The face detection system takes a given image as the input from which a face is located and extracted using 2D Haar Wavelets and Support Vector Machines. The face region is then used to locate and extract the individual components of the face such as eyes, eyebrows, lips and nose which are then sent to the face recognition system where the individual components are recognized by using Wavelets, Principal Component Analysis and Error Backpropagation Neural Networks. Pattern dimension reduction technique is used to significantly reduce the dimensionality and complexity of the task.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Face Recognition Face Detection Haar Wavelet Pattern Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- John C.Russ, Image processing handbook, CRC Press 2002Google Scholar
- Krzysztof J. Cios, W. Pedrycz and Roman W. Swiniarski. Data mining methods for knowledge discovery. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston 1998.Google Scholar
- Matlab wavelet toolbox.Google Scholar
- James S. Walker. A primer on Wavelets and their scientific applications, pages 95-122. Chapman Hall/CRC, 1999.Google Scholar
- Richard O. Duda, Perte E. Hart, David G. Stork. Pattern Classification. Wiley-Interscience; 2 Sub edition (October 2000)Google Scholar
- Christopher J.C. Burges. A tutorial on support vector machines for pattern recognition. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 2, 121167 (1998), 1998 Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.Google Scholar
- Marti A. Hearst. SVM trends and controversies Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, IEEE Volume 13, Issue 4, Jul/Aug 1998 Page(s):18 - 28Google Scholar
- Simon Haykin. Neural Networks, a comprehensive foundation. pages 178- 224. Prentice Hall; 2nd edition (July 6, 1998)Google Scholar
- BioID face database, http://www.bioid.com/downloads/facedb/index.phpGoogle Scholar
- Caltech face database, http://www.vision.caltech.edu/htmlfiles/ archive.htmlGoogle Scholar
- K. Cios, W. Pedrycz, R. Swiniarski, L. Kurman. Data Mining. A Knowledge Discovery Approach. Springer, New York, 2000Google Scholar