A New Simulation Approach to Investigate Avalanche Behavior
Experiments revealed a dependence of sustained avalanche current on epitaxial layer structure, ambient temperature and chip size. With higher on-resistance, the avalanche current normally increases as well. A new mixed-mode simulation model proposed before explained the dependencies of avalanche current on device structure due to inherent instabilities. In this work, the simulation model was extended to explain found dependencies of avalanche current on chip size and therefore the chip layout and chosen external gate resistance.
KeywordsCritical Current Chip Size Drain Source Voltage Power MOSFETs Gate Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I. Pawel, R. Siemieniec, M. Rösch, F. Hirler, C. Geissler, A. Pugatschow and L.J. Balk “Design of Avalanche Capability of Power MOSFETs by Device Simulation”, inProc. EPE 2007, 2007Google Scholar
- R. Siemieniec, F. Hirler, A. Schlögl, M. Rösch, N. Soufi-Amlashi, J. Ropohl and U. Hiller “A new fast and rugged 100 V power MOSFET”, inProc. EPE-PEMC 2006, 2006Google Scholar
- A. Vrbicky, D. Donoval, J. Marek, A. Chvala and P. Beno “Analysis of Electro-Thermal Behaviour of DMOS Transistor Structure during UIS Test” Proc. ISPS, 2006Google Scholar
- K. Chinnaswamy, P. Khandelwal, M. Trivedi and K. Shenai “Unclamped Inductive Switching Dynamics in Lateral and Vertical Power DMOSFETs” Proc. IAS, 1999Google Scholar
- V. Vaschenko, Y. Martynov and V. Sinkevitch “Simulation of Avalanche Injection Filamentation in MOSFETs and IGBTs” in Proc. ESSDERC, 1997Google Scholar
- P. Rossel, H. Tranduc, D. Montcoqut, G. Charitat and I. Pagés “Avalanche Characteristics of MOS Transistors” in Proc. MIEL, 1997Google Scholar
- A.I. Deckelmann, G.K. Wachutka, F. Hirler, J. Krumrey and R. Henninger “Failure of Multiple-Cell Power DMOS Transistors in Avalanche Operation” in Proc. ESSDERC, 2003Google Scholar
- G. Hurkx and N. Koper “A Physics-Based Model for the Avalanche Ruggedness of Power Diodes” in Proc. ISPSD, 1999Google Scholar
- I. Pawel, R. Siemieniec, M. Rösch, F. Hirler and R. Herzer “Experimental Study and Simulations on Two Different Avalanche Modes in Trench Power MOSFETs”, IET Circuits, Devices & Systems, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Synopsys, Inc,. MEDICITM User Guide, 2006Google Scholar
- M.P. Shaw, V. Mitin, E. Schöll and H. Grubin “The Physics of Instabilities in Solid State Electron Devices” New York, Plenum Press, 1992Google Scholar
- M. Denison “Single Stress Safe Operating Area of DMOS Transistors integrated in Smart Power Technologies”, PhD thesis, University of Bremen, 2004Google Scholar