Ion Channels with Mechanosensitivity in the Nervous System
Although sensation of the physical touch is the most ancient sense of all, our understanding is very scarce. After brief history of mechanosensation and the criteria of mechanical transduction channels are introduced, various ion channels with mechanosensitive properties are followed. Selective TRP channels, two pore domain potassium channels with mechanosensitivity and amiloride sensitive sodium channels are discussed in terms of their expression, biophysical properties, functional significance and their limits. Other possible mechanisms of mechanosensitivity with or without involvement of ion channels are briefly mentioned. Various methodologies frequently adopted to study the mechanosensitivity of the ion channels are classified by direct and indirect mechanical stimulation.
KeywordsMechanical Transduction TRP TREK K2P Stretch Ion Channels
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Basavappa S, Pedersen SF, Jorgensen NK, Ellory JC, Hoffmann EK (1998) Swelling-induced arachidonic acid release via the 85-kda cpla2 in human neuroblastoma cells. J Neurophys 79: 1441–1449.Google Scholar
- Boulay G, Zhu X, Peyton M, Jiang M, Hurst R, Stefani E, Birnbaumer L (1997) Cloning and expression of a novel mammalian homolog of drosophila transient receptor potential (trp) involved in calcium entry secondary to activation of receptors coupled by the gq class of g protein. J Biol Chem 272: 29672–29680.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Corey DP, Garcia-Anoveros J, Holt JR, Kwan KY, Lin SY, Vollrath MA, Amalfitano A, Cheung EL, Derfler BH, Duggan A, Geleoc GS, Gray PA, Hoffman MP, Rehm HL, Tamasauskas D, Zhang DS (2004) Trpa1 is a candidate for the mechanosensitive transduction channel of vertebrate hair cells. Nature 432: 723–730.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dinis P, Charrua A, Avelino A, Yaqoob M, Bevan S, Nagy I, Cruz F (2004) Anandamide-evoked activation of vanilloid receptor 1 contributes to the development of bladder hyperreflexia and nociceptive transmission to spinal dorsal horn neurons in cystitis. J Neurosci 24: 11253–11263.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim HY, Park CK, Cho IH, Jung SJ, Kim JS, Oh SB (2008) Differential changes in trpv1 expression after trigeminal sensory nerve injury. J Pain (in press).Google Scholar
- Maingret F, Fosset M, Lesage F, Lazdunski M, Honore E (1999a) Traak is a mammalian neuronal mechano-gated k+ channel. J Biol Chem 274: 1381–1387.Google Scholar
- Maingret F, Patel AJ, Lesage F, Lazdunski M, Honore E (1999b) Mechano- or acid stimulation, two interactive modes of activation of the trek-1 potassium channel. J Biol Chem 274: 26691–26696.Google Scholar
- Numata T, Shimizu T, Okada Y (2007a) Direct mechano-stress sensitivity of trpm7 channel. Cell Physiol Biochem 19: 1–8.Google Scholar
- Numata T, Shimizu T, Okada Y (2007b) Trpm7 is a stretch- and swelling-activated cation channel involved in volume regulation in human epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292: C460–C467.Google Scholar
- Xu H, Zhao H, Tian W, Yoshida K, Roullet JB, Cohen DM (2003) Regulation of a transient receptor potential (trp) channel by tyrosine phosphorylation. Src family kinase-dependent tyrosine phosphorylation of trpv4 on tyr-253 mediates its response to hypotonic stress. J Biol Chem 278: 11520–11527.PubMedGoogle Scholar