Electron Microscopy Analysis of AlGaN/GaN Nanowires Grown by Catalyst-Assisted Molecular Beam Epitaxy
Scanning transmission electron microscopy has been used to investigate the composition of nickel seeds which promote the columnar growth of AlGaN / GaN nanowires deposited by molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) on sapphire. The nickel distribution along the nanowires was investigated by both X-ray and electron-energy-loss spectroscopy. Gallium was observed in nickel seeds at the nanowires growth tips. No aluminium was detected and a minimal presence of nitrogen was observed in the nickel seeds, which exhibit a nickel oxide surface attributed to oxidation following removal from the MBE growth system.
KeywordsNickel Nitride Gallium Sapphire Nash
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nitride Semiconductors — Handbook on Materials and Devices 2003 eds Ruterana P, Albrecht M and Neugebauer J (Wiley-VCH, Berlin)Google Scholar
- 10.Geelhaar L et al (2007) to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Taylor D 1984 ‘The United Kingdom Chemical Database Service’, Trans. Brit. Ceram. Soc.83, 5Google Scholar
- 12.Liu D R and Brown M 1987 J. Microsc.147, 37Google Scholar
- 13.Wriedt H A in Phase Diagrams of Binary Nickel Alloys, edited by P. Nash (ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1991) pp. 213–216Google Scholar