Overview of Water Management in Turkey: Issues, Constraints, Achievements, Prospect
The major systematic aspect of water related activities in Turkey is central planning. At the national level, the objective of the Five-Year Development Plans’ (FYDP) is to ensure the optimum distribution of all kinds of resources among various sectors of the economy. The latest, 9th plan covers the period of 2007–2013 with the major goal related to environmental protection and public infrastructure development. This plan underlines the fact that rapid urbanization and industrialization process is a pressure on the sustainable use of water resources; that although progress has been made, uncertainty with regard to institutional plurality and fragmentation across sectors remains. This issue is a big challenge on the way to substantial reforms with regard to water resources management. Therefore better cooperation and coordination is needed between institutions. Water management is gradually improving towards a sustainable development policy by internalizing the concepts of water demand management in the municipal, industrial and agricultural sectors.
KeywordsWater resources water management policy water use sustainability institutional framework
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ballard, J., (2005). Restructuring of the Turkish Water Sector for the Implementation of EU Water Directives, UK-Turkey Cooperation Workshop, Ankara.Google Scholar
- Burak, S., Gönenç, E., Erol, A., (1994). Institutional and Legislative Structure of Water Quality Management in Turkey, Water. Sci. Tech. Vol. 30, No. 5. pp. 261-268.Google Scholar
- DIE, (2002) Per Capita Water Demand, Population Censuses of Turkey (August 2002). http://www.belgenet.com/arsiv/nufus.html
- DSI, (2007a) Land and Water Sources of Turkey. http://www.dsi.gov.tr/topraksu.htm
- DSI, (2007b). International River Basins Management Congress (20-24 March), Antalya, Turkey.Google Scholar
- IEA, (2000). Energy Statistics of OECD Countries 1997-1998, International Energy Agency, Paris.Google Scholar
- SPO, (1998). National Environmental Action Plan. SPO, (2006a). 9th Development Plan (2007-2013).Google Scholar
- SPO, (2006b). 2007 Annual Program, Protection of Environment and Improvement of Urban Infrastructure.Google Scholar