New Avenues, New Outcomes: Nanoparticle Catalysis for Polymer Makeovers
In this chapter, nanocluster catalyzed modifications of organic and silicon based polymers are described. The tailoring of the polymeric templates was carried out under mild conditions and led to hybrid polymers in quantitative yields. Detailed characterization studies indicated that the integrity of the polymeric templates was not compromised during the functionalization process. The nanoparticle catalysis was found to be quite effective and highly selective. In most cases exclusive β-hydrosilylation products were obtained without any rearrangement or isomerization reactions. Detailed characterization and property profiling of the new hybrid polymers is also presented.
KeywordsSize Exclusion Chromatography Hybrid Polymer Schlenk Tube Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane Hydrosilylation Reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Brinker C, Scherer G. (1990) Sol–gel science: the physics and chemistry of sol– gel processing. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Theng B K G. (1979) Developments in soil science. Formation and properties of clay–polymer complexes. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chauhan B P S, Rathore, J S, Chauhan M et al. (2003) Synthesis of polysiloxane stabilized palladium colloids and evidence of their participation in silaesterification reactions. J Am Chem Soc 125:2876–2877.Google Scholar
- 10.Chauhan B P S, Rathore J S. (2005) Regioselectively synthesis of multifunctional hybrid polysiloxanes achieved by Pt-nanoclusters catalysis. J Am Chem Soc 127:5790–5791.Google Scholar
- 11.Chauhan B P S, Rathore J S. (May 16–20, 2006) Synthesis of Isolable Nanocluster Catalysts and Their Applications in Macromolecular Hydrosilylation Catalysis. 39th Silicon Symposium, Frankenmuth, MI USA, Abs. No. 300Google Scholar
- 12.Chauhan B P S, Balagam, B Raghunath M. (May 16–20, 2006) Silyl Functionalization: An Efficient Route for Polyolefin Modification 39th Silicon Symposium, Frankenmuth, MI USA, Abs. No. 254.Google Scholar
- 13.Chauhan B P S, Balagam B. (2006) Silyl Functionalization of Polyolefines. Macromolecules 39:2010–2012.Google Scholar