Hydrogen Production from Biomass
Hydrogen is considered as a novel fuel for the twenty first century, mainly due to its environmentally benign character. Production of hydrogen from renewable biomass has several advantages compared to that of fossil fuels. A number of processes are being practiced for efficient and economic conversion and utilization of biomass to hydrogen. This article updates the developments of various hydrogen-production processes from biomass. Several developmental works are discussed, with a brief outline of different technologies employed therein. A comparative study of existing processes is given on the basis of their relative merits and demerits.
KeywordsHydrogen energy production biomass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antal, M.J. Jr., Feber, R.C., and Tinkle, M.C., 1974, Proceedings 1st World Hydrogen Energy Conference, Miami Beach, FL, pp. 1-20.Google Scholar
- Liu, S.J., Yang, W.F., and Zhou, P.Q., 1995, The research on hydrogen production from the treatment of bean products wastewater by immobilized photosynthetic bacteria, Environ. Sci. 16, 42-44.Google Scholar
- Manarungson, S., Mok, W.S., and Antal Jr., M.J., 1990, Advances in hydrogen energy. Hydrogen Energy Progress VIII, IAHE, FL, Vol. 1, pp. 345-355.Google Scholar
- Miyake, J., Veziroglu, T.N., and Takashashi, P.K., 1990, Hydrogen Energy Progress VIII. Proceedings 8th WHEC, Hawaii, Pergamon Press, New York, pp. 755-764.Google Scholar
- Modell, M., 1985, Gasification and liquefaction of forest products in supercritical water. Fundamentals of Thermochemical Biomass Conversion, Elsevier Applied Science, Amsterdam, 95-119.Google Scholar
- Venkataraman, C., and Vatsala, T.M., 1990, Hydrogen production from whey by phototropic bacteria, in Veziroglu, T.N., and Takahashi, P.K. (eds.), Hydrogen Energy Progress VIII, Vol. 2, Pergamon Press, New York, pp. 781-788.Google Scholar
- Vrati, S., and Verma, J., 1983, Production of molecular hydrogen and single cell protein by Rhodopseudomonas capsulata from cow dung. J. Ferment. Technol. 61, 157-162.Google Scholar
- Walcher, G., Girges, S., and Weingartner, S., 1996, Hydrogen Energy Progress XI, Pro-ceedings of the 11th World Hydrogen Conference, Stuttgart, Vol. 1, pp. 413-418.Google Scholar